Fibreglassing over screws ?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gary1, Dec 16, 2007.

1. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Aftrenoon Everyone,
    The Plans for my boat call for the deck to be screwed down and then fibreglass tape to be used to help secure the deck. My question is do the screws have to be made out of any special metal or alloy if they are to be covered with fibreglass, I'am using epoxy resin to wet out the fabric.
    Thank's
    Gary

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

gary1,

A bit hard mate to understand why you are using fibreglass tape to "help secure the deck"

How big is this boat? If it is only a dinghy, then just use 316L s/s screws, they will last decades under epoxy.
    If it is ocean going, we need to discuss more about this tape bit etc etc.

The best screws for any work on a boat are monel, followed by silicon bronze, then 316L s/s then 304 s/s then any other crap.

3. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

G/day Landlubber,
    Mate it's a 22ft longboat the longitudinal and transverse frames are all fibreglassed to the bottom and sides of the hull along the top edge of these is 25mmx25mm timber which will be glued (epoxy) and screwed to them. The deck is 12mm marine ply with a layer of 855grm Biax on both sides,this is then glued (epoxy) and screwed to the longitudinal and transverse frames the deck is then strapped to the side of the hull with 2x600grm D/Bias bandages (tape) 100&150mm in width.
    Sorry I should have said bandages not tape. where the sheets of ply butt together for the deck that was my main concern in regards to the screws as I will also be putting the 600grm tape along those joins which in turn will be covering the screws. My concern was the which type of screws are best for the job.

Thanks
    Gary

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The Lubber has it about right. I'd add regular 316 stainless to the list. It would fall between 316L and 304. 316 regular is usually what you'll find at a hardware store and is general nonmagnetic, though a big rare earth job may attract it. 316L is the stuff you want if you're not using monel or bronze. Insure you epoxy these girls into their holes.

5. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Thank's Landlubber & Par
    I'll try and track down the monel if not I'll go with the stainless 316L s/s screws they will probabilly be easier for me to find where I'm located
    Thank's again
    Gary

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.