FAO fishing boat design

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by APA-168, Jun 2, 2009.

1. APA-168

APA-168 student amateur designer

Hello all, I am looking to build a boat, this will be my first boat, and am very intrigued by the design issued by the FAO and posted online here:http://www.fao.org/docrep/007/y5649e/y5649e00.htm

My question is, are there any resources for this boat ie other people who have built this boat and written up their experience online or in a publication. I am also wondering how this looks as a design, does it seem to be a "good" design? How would it be for a first time boat builder? If it is unsuitable, can someone recommend some good designs of a similar size, sail or motor, doesn't matter which. Thanks in advance.

2. scott_in_az

scott_in_az Flotsam

Hi APA-168,

I noted one other person(Jakjet Singh) on this forum who was starting one of the FAO V-Bottom Fishing boats (the 24 ft), but no postings in 2009. I see on the web that several agencies report building them for fisheries programs in India, and I think Malaysia or the Philippines? I am hoping someone will share build photos.

Scott

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It looks like a good design. The hull should work well without too much power. Looks like what they did is to use the same basic sections but stretch the length to come up with three models. I think they are good looking too.

4. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

I think you chose very well.

This boat can be built easily by a first time builder.

There is nothing complicated or particularly difficult anywhere in the build.

Fibreglass cloth and epoxy would help for wear and abrasion resistance.

Paint with good quality paint . Good luck !

PS ...DON`T do what the other builder on the other thread did ...........He significantly altered the design by increasing the beam of the boat ( 1 1/2 ft I think ). Dont do anything like that...it will become an entirely different boat with unknown consequences and performance.

5. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Apparently can be altered up to 6ft beam ....

Quite a versatile and good looking boat it seems.

6. scott_in_az

scott_in_az Flotsam

I think Jakjit incorrectly posted that the design he was building was 4ft in beam and he was increasing this by 1.5 ft. Actually the plans show all lenghts of this FAO V-bottom fishing boat at 6 ft beam. The designer also provides detailed instructions on how to redraw the frames with up to 20% increase in beam over and above the stock 6 ft. It does require an extra pair of longtitudinal battons in the bottom framing. So, Jackjit, at 6.5 ft beam could have been within the designers allowable beam width. He seemed want to increase free board as well, which is not detailed in the plans. I was hoping he would pop in for an update.

Scott

7. APA-168

APA-168 student amateur designer

Thank you for the replies, I have not begun building this boat, I decided to start with a sailboat to avoid the cost of an engine etc. at first and just get some experience with actual building. I do plan to revisit this design once I have finished my current projects. Note plurality. Yes, once you are bitten there is no helping it...

8. flyinwall

flyinwall Junior Member

i have downloaded and printed this set of plans out for study but i have noticed that they dont mention anything about mounting the inboard diesel motor or whether you need to strengthen the hull for the motor or anything about the through hull fittings

i like the looks of it as a hull and was wondering if there would be a problem building a wheel house on it (the 7 or 8 meter version) and putting a slightly larger motor than they recommend (to counteract the weight of the wheel house) i was thinking of about 15hp diesel
    does anybody know if it would work (i know it would look good for what i want anyway)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.