Boat Mold Newbie

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by maritimebilly, Oct 6, 2010.

1. maritimebilly

maritimebilly Junior Member

Ok so
    I have no experience with this and have been watching youtube videos on building the mold etc but most of the time they are all about building the plug..Well if I have the plug what do I do next?..do I cut the cap off the boat and flip the hull over and do the whole waxing / mold release proccess and then lay this layers of glass on it and then reinforce it with plywood jigs that I would fiberglass to the mold?.. seriously I need some info on how to do this. would appreciate some info from some of you mold magicians!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Doing what your are talking about is illegal. We call it splashing and I think you'll find most frown on it for that reason. Basically you're talking about stealing someone else's hull design, even if it is Bayliner, Wellcraft or whoever, it's someone else's, likely copyright protected work.

Maybe you need to talk to this guy

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-molds/18-foot-boat-molds-27179.html

3. maritimebilly

maritimebilly Junior Member

Well the company went out of business in the 90's and there is no one that is making these boats and have made numerous attempts to try and contact these people but no go ! If I could get my hands on the molds believe me I would do so and pay them well for them.. Still illegal?