Epoxy Pumps

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by SeaJay, Oct 28, 2009.

1. SeaJay

SeaJay Senior Member

I am purchasing a 50 gal drum of Proset 135 epoxy along with a 15 gal drum of 229 hardener. They mix at a 100:31 ratio. This pump has been recommended to me:
    http://www.michaelengineering.com/sticky_stuff/SSD.html

I'd go for the less expensive one but even then I figure it will be $400 tax license, out-the-door. This isn't a deal breaker, but $400 is still $400. So I ask the forum, are these pumps worth it? I'm not finding a lot of alternatives on the web but would like to hear of any.

Mind you, this is for a single project and after that, I'll look to sell it to one of you guys at a good price! Thoughts please.

Best Regards,

Sea Jay

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I can certainly appreciate your question but feel that it's only really you

that can answer it. Here's an idea: Try it without and see how it goes...

Tom

3. Bentwood

Bentwood Bentwood

CJ: I use the same pump. If you are buying epoxy in large quantities, then you need a good pump to dispense it. It also helps when you are having less experienced persons mix epoxy by reducing the ratio error.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

You waste less, work faster, have no "**** was there any hardener in?" issues. Even for a single project, it is worth to work with a pump. (dunno this one)
    But what about the opposite approach? Try to find such equipment on E- lectronic B- ight?

Regards
    Richard

5. SeaJay

SeaJay Senior Member

Bentwood,

Thanks for the input. Your comment regarding “less experienced persons” is particularly pertinent to my situation…both for my helpers and myself.

Richard,

I can just hear myself uttering the words you have suggested above. I’ve looked on E-Bay, Craigslist, etc., but haven’t found anything yet. I’ll keep looking but need to purchase soon.

You guys have confirmed what my supplier told me, so I’m going to go ahead and buy one (anyone out there with a good used one for sale?). Thanks.

6. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

I have that exact pump, but have not used it in at least 5 years. Would be willing to sell it cheap. It may need new container bins, especially the hardener side as the amines tend to attack the PE plastics after long exposure. PM me if interested.

Jimbo

7. Submarine Tom

SeaJay,

I don't think you'll regret the purchase.

Remember to mix thoroughly.

Tom

8. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Another great thing about pumps, especially when combined with static mixer tubes, is the increased ease of working with highly reactive (fast curing) resin systems. Also, you never need to dispense large batches, which are needed for a large layup, but a no-go with fast curing epoxies, especially in hot weather.

The amount of work time lost to measuring and mixing, and the pot life lost because of the impracticality of measuring/mixing just a couple of ounces at a time by hand becomes obvious once you've used a pump for a while. With a pump you can mix just one ounce at a time over and over without any loss in time or efficiency and get the longest pot life possible from each batch.

Jimbo

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

fully concur Jimbo. Though the very small batches do´nt occur too often here, we process about one hundred tonnes of resin per annum. The advantage of having relatively small pots delivered very quickly and in even quality is a very important time (money) saver.

10. Submarine Tom

Richard,

I concur with your concurrence.

Thank you for the correct spelling of concur!

Imagine that, you out spelling a native English speaking person.

Good going!

I only know English, well, accept for about 30 words in French but half of

those are numbers and a few swear (bad) words.

Cheers, Tom

11. GG

GG offshore artie

Seajay just curious did you ask west system what the cost of there pump was to meet your needs .

12. Submarine Tom

West System! Double? Maybe more...$$$

13. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

At least the West pumps are cheap. Mine cost almost $400 back in '98 :mad:

Jimbo

14. SeaJay

SeaJay Senior Member

Alright guys, there seems to be no doubt about this. Above and beyond the direct benefits you have mentioned is, I believe, a necessary confidence that as a newbie, I'm at least assured that I'm starting the process with properly mixed material.

I checked the West site and their unit is $358 as opposed to $284 for the Michael Engineering pump. In case anyone else is interested, I spoke with M.E. today and Rob was very helpful, and explained to me that I would likely be just fine with their basic Model A unit and would not need to buy anything else.

Jimbo, I'll PM you and see what we can come up with.

Regards to All

SeaJay

15. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I have used the West System mixing pump, similar to the one in the link, and the only disadvantage is that generating larger batches is slow. Right then mixing by weight is a better option then.
    But for all small batches that are needed so many times when building a boat, this pump is great.