Transom rebuild

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by hunterdogg, May 15, 2012.

1. hunterdogg

hunterdogg New Member

Hey guys Im new to this forum and need some advice. I am replacing my transom in my 1985 center console Bonito 17'. I have the old transom completely cut out from side to side and about 2 feet of floor. Everything is ready to go back in and I plan on using epoxy resin for fiberglassing. I have heard and read so many ways to layer the fiberglass with all different weights and cloths that I am now confused and second guessing myself about what my orignal plan was. What im asking is what cloth do I need to start with and do I need to alternate cloth, mat, biaxel? I figured this would be the best place for a several good straight foward answers. Thanks john

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Post some pictures of the transom or maybe a better description of what was removed. Did you remove the outer or inner skins?

3. hunterdogg

hunterdogg New Member

The outer skin was removed also. I will post pics as soon as I can. The complete transom with the outer skin was removed from side to side. about 2 ft of the floor was also removed from the transom toward the front of the boat because of some rot. So if your looking at the boat from the rear you can see inside the boat all the way to the front and also in between floor and the hull. The way the boat is built made it impossible to remove the transom and replace without taking the outer skin. I also have to replace a portion of the stringers at the rear.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.