Fiberglassing around edges

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by hospadar, May 21, 2012.

1. hospadar

hospadar Junior Member

I'm looking for some tips on fiberglassing around edges on a little plywood boat I'm building. I always end up with lots of bubbles (like fabric not bonded to plywood bubbles, not little pinhole bubbles) near the edges, presumably because I don't have a large enough radius around the edges. Unfortunately I can't put a larger radius because of the location/size/placement of the chine logs and fasteners.

It's not really a huge deal, I just sand through the bubbles to the plywood and seal everything up with epoxy (it's more about the waterproofing than the strength anyways), but I'm wondering if there's some way I could be doing things better to avoid having to sand down and re-seal things. Perhaps a little thickened epoxy around the joint to take up the slack (would result in floating glass, but that's better than a bubble or no glass). Perhaps putting a base coat of epoxy down, and letting it get tacky to really hold the fabric in place (I'm not wild about this, my time availability doesn't always allow me wait for things like that).

2. johneck

johneck Senior Member

a couple of layers of lighter cloth would make it easier.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

If you cant build in a rounder profile, try using peelply. It allows you to force the glass down on the surface. I even stapled the peel ply on both edges to force to cloth to the surface while it cured.

4. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Try running your glass cloth at 45 degrees to the centreline. In addition to the peelply, I have been known to add a little (very little) filler powder to thicken up the mix close to the corners too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.