Silencing methods

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by fallguy, Jun 10, 2020.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

C2EF6957-8CE9-4E11-86F1-5A01753948DC.jpeg I am building a detachable helm chair and riser and decided to build a detachable steps.

The riser is on a removable cockpit platform and the steps is on 2" of the removable platform and 14" of the hull deck.

I need the step deck separate from the helm for easier access underneath. Because they both share a common side, I will cleat the bottom of steps on the riser and the step faces. This will allow/require silencing on the cleat faces and on the edge between the helm riser and the steps.

Any advice on silencing? I am planning neoprene and 3M 4799 adhesive.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Silencing engine compartment noise? I'd use a marine specific engine sound damping tile. These generally have a thin metal/composite layer bonded to a fire-retardant foam. They are much more effective due to the added mass damping as well as being fire safe.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

sorry, no, this is silencing between a helm riser on a floating cockpit and a step that is 2" on the floating section and 12" on one of the hulls

...just trying to avoid squeaking or as one builder warned me, screaming

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You try simple paint vibration/noise damping product here,
    or
    their excellent noise barriers here.

DogCavalry likes this.

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

perfect; thank you; I am a bit nervous about relying on neoprene all the time

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.