kevlar canoe

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by delmarx, Jan 20, 2013.

1. delmarx

delmarx New Member

I’m an amateur who wants to build canoe Prospector 16 (layup SKK with foam ribs). Would be appreciated for advices regarding following matters:

1. Due to shape of the hull, the mold must be divided. How to take two pieces of mold which fit perfectly each other from the plug? (I have 5-axis CNC router available)
    2. I would like to make integrated gunwale. Foam profile is not a problem, but how to bond profile to the mold making stable construction before infusion? I heard abt cobrasox technologie, but do not know how they do that. Any suggestions?
    3. I want to install ribs between kevlar layers. Will the area below foam ribs soak well during infusion? As well assuming integrated gunnels with foam core – will fabrics placed between foam and mold soak well during infusion? If not – are there any manners to do that?
    4. Flotation tanks – what capacity should have relative to canoe weight?

Thanks in advance