cores

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Flying Flivver, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Flying Flivver

Flying Flivver Junior Member

So what is commonly thought of Polypropylene Honeycomb core in boat construction?, is it hard to use?, and can it be used in a transom?

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I would no use it in surfaces that are in contact with water. I have built a boat like that once, and it had continuous problems with water logging.

For a transom I would use a high density foam, or perhaps wood, if you know what you are doing.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I only work on boats . My observation is that On composite boats foam is the core used in primary structures. I only see Honeycombs used for interior furniture. Im looking at a door right now that is honeycomb. When I talk to builders they prefer foam because it is versatile , easy to shape, form, taper and construct with. Honeycomb is not.

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

the polypropylene is easy to work with. It is skinned with a layer of PP film and PET non-woven, which makes laminating it a cinch. It also conforms nicely to shape. I needed only 6 pieces of PP honeycomb, instead of 22 pieces of foam.

It is damage tolerant, due to its low shear modulus. Thus stiffness is not great. When broken, it is a pig to repair, as you cannot bond anything to the PP cell walls.

5. Flying Flivver

Flying Flivver Junior Member

Thanks,
    I want the boat to be light and long lasting so repairs are posible. High density foam it is.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.