Fiberglass Schedule

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jorgepease, Apr 24, 2012.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Hello I am constructing a SG Ply Glass design out of corecell. This is the boat http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=XF20. I have the core loaded on the male mold and ready to start loading the glass but ...

The designer doesn't provide the scantlings for the corecell mod but he offered a suggestion - Use an extra 2 layers (one layer 12 0Z 45/45 and one layer 12 OZ 0/90) over the original spec which was one layer of 12 OZ 45/-45. He also said some people add more. He said do this for both sides of the hull.

So I am thinking to infuse a total of 4 alternating layers (45/45 and 0/90) for 48 0Z total

Does this sound reasonable?
    How can I figure out the extra weight of the glass?

Thanks for any help.

2. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

You will find little generic info on foam sandwich layups, interested as i'm also looking to build a foam sandwich boat ( a 26ft rowing gig) There is a lot of acumalated info on hull layups for GRP boats. I did find lay up info from the Australian Surf lifesaving association which for my purposes would probably be rather overkill as the boat is not intended to get piled orT boned racing in heavy surf! Some sailing dinghy classes also use foam sandwich the Cherub Class is one.

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I will check into that. This is a pure flats boat, a little chop at times but nothing major and when it gets rough I will be moving along at slow speed. However, I do want to protect from hitting a rock or something since I will be running so shallow.