Need help on boat ID please

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Benamin2006, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Benamin2006

Benamin2006 New Member

Hello i am trying to identify a wellcraft late-90's model boat. Im still waiting for info to come in on the boat from the seller so that i know precisely what features the boat has. I roughly matched it to a 1998 eclipse 2000 SCS but i cannot seem to find an exact match to confirm this.
    Here is the Link:
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/Caddie_23/untitled.jpg
    Here is the wellcraft link for what i think it may be:
    http://www.wellcraft.com/Images/CService/1998/WC_PIG_Eclipse_2000_SCS_98.jpg

One further question though, how could i make this boat faster(assuming it is the eclipse model)-- is there more than one way? Such as: Supercharging, Different Propeller, Different outdrive? I havent decided yet if i will buy the boat(as i am still waiting to hear all the details) but i would like to know if i could make it faster (without dropping a new engine in it) just by simply putting a different propeller on or someother modification.

I wasn't sure which category to post this under, i apologize if it is i the wrong place.
    Thanks for reading!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

These boats are rated for 280HP. What engine does it have in it now? They will not be safe going much faster than their designed speed. For more speed you need more power. In turn, it will use more fuel, so you either put a bigger tank with more weight that slows you down, or you take shorter trips. Outdrives and structural parts of the boat are only capable of handling the rated power. In an older boat, the maximum strength will probably be decreased too.

3. Benamin2006

Benamin2006 New Member

Well i do not know what engine is in there just yet, im still waiting to find out (hopefully before i actually see the boat in person). The boat is owned by a friend of a friend of a friend which is why there is a bottleneck on getting the info.
    I was hoping to generalize on any I/O setup what would actually happen if you changed out the propeller from stock (or other mods), more speed, neglible speed? I do not know anything about boats, this would be my first one.
    If the stock model is 280hp, 51mph (the wellcraft site i referenced had several different engines listed and i do not know and could not find out the difference between them) is it unrealistic to expect to get 60-70mph out of the boat with some tinkering?

4. bntii

bntii Senior Member

till you get some tiller time 51mph is plenty fast

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A 40% speed increase will need about a 72%% increase in power. The propeller will also need to be changed, but only to match the engine and gears. However, the boat will sooner or later break; maybe with catastrophic results.

6. Deeman

Deeman Junior Member

7. Benamin2006

Benamin2006 New Member

thanks Deeman i shall look into that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.