Hey check this out! 42' Westsail

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by afteryou, Jan 24, 2013.

1. afteryou

afteryou Junior Member

What do you guys make of this fine craftsmanship. Yep Bondo and a strip of cloth not even wide enough to to contact the bulkhead or the hull.

This boat was converted into a salmon troller a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the guy who did it didn't do a very good job so I get to do it again. This time with professional thought, care and materials .:D

DSCN1079.jpg

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, we see this more often then you'd think. Though I don't use Bondo, technically it's fine, assuming the tabbing laminate is thick enough and has sufficient overlap on the hull shell and bulkhead. It also appears the surface wasn't prepped very well.

3. robwilk37

robwilk37 Senior Member

most of the westsails were kit boats, ive seen some fine examples of the 42/43 that where professionally built and fit out, but also too many backyard builders who buggered the job. the same for yorktown...

4. afteryou

afteryou Junior Member

Yeah, this boat was originally sold unfinished. The cabin and decks are factory. Whoever put the original bulkheads in did a fine job, probably factory as well.

From what I understand this boat has only been in the water three or four years. I think the hull was layed up in the late seventies. A guy bought it sitting landlocked somewhere and tried to turn it into a troller. The bulkhead I took the picture of was his recent modification.

The good news is that it practically fell apart on it’s own.:p The factory stuff is much harder to cut out.:(

This boat is going to remain a troller. I’m just going to set it up in a way that it will actually work the way it should for the new owner.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

silly as it may sound but it takes more materials and twice the time to make a messy job as it does to make a proper job .
    i like this !!its just like where i was working !! :D:p

6. PAR

About as accurate a statement as it gets. I've (and assuming Tunnels as well) have hacked out more junk, just to replace it with half as much, that is twice as strong, at half it's weight.

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I try to live by the statment quality costs less
    Do the job properly !
    Use the right materials and you never have to touch it again !!
    and it always looks good ,forever more !! :idea::p

8. PAR

Until you bash it into something or let your kids take it out for the weekend . . . ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.