Fiberglass molding of console rigid boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by ramon, Oct 3, 2009.

1. ramon

ramon New Member

Hi guys,

im new to the whole boat building scene. I have just had the tubes redone on my 6m rigid inflatable done, i want to redo my centre steering console and seat, does anyone have info or pics or any links for me to check out for info.

thanks

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Put some pics up so one can see what you're in for. It may simply be a case of sand and spray.

3. ramon

ramon New Member

pics of my project

this is my boat, they have removed the old pontoons and ging to put on new ones. I want to cut out that huge sterring console and build nice one with nice seats.something that doesnt take up the whole boat.

Any advice on how to build a new console.

Attached Files:

• boat.jpg
      boat.jpg
      File size:
      450.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Why don't you look for something larger instead ? A smaller console is not going to make that much difference and where are you going to put the seats you talk about ? That is one of the problems with a duck, deck space.

You could of course fix it up nicely and sell it. Just a suggestion.

5. ramon

ramon New Member

I have decided to keep the boat and that is why i am fixing it up. I cannot afford to get another boat.

I have replaced the pontoons already, rebuilt the trailer and now i just want to build a new console. Does anyone have some info and guidelines for me on how to make it out of fiberglass.

6. ramon

ramon New Member

fiberglass molding please help

please can someone help me, i want to make a boat console out of fiberglass, i need some info on how to do it.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Ramon,

I would suggest you visit a boat yard or someone who works with fiberglass and have them show you what is involved.

In basics, you have to have a kind of former, the glass and resin gets layed up and when cured you have your item.

There are however much more involved, so to prevent disappointment, follow my suggestion and have someone in the know help you first time round. It's not rocket science, but it will be worth it following the basic advice.