Interesting alloy now available to everyone

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jorgepease, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

I hate it when marketing ***** spout off about comparisons between materials with totally separate properties and applications.... Lithium-Aluminum alloys are still better (ie; lighter for whatever modulus) for most applications, but it will be interesting to see where the price point will make it for "good enough".

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

sounds like it has the potential to be less expensive

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

When they get around to specifying what the alloy composition is then we can start talking. And the manufacturing methods available.

Non corrosive and non flammable will be good selling points, when the data and test method is available.

Lots of BS until the cost is known (and testing).

Classified military programs my behind. Classic way to avoid providing data.

5. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I was sure their patented flux filter was already in use in the Turbo Encabulator, but that uses power generated by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive-directance. My bad.

DogCavalry likes this.
  7. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Magnesium is a really interesting metal, used in some old aircraft for its lightness.
    But it burns really well, can't be put out with anything other than smothering it (with sand).
    You know they use it for flares don't you?

It also corrodes easily, the old aircraft had coatings about 1/10" thick for protection and it had to be inspected all the time.

If they really can fix those two problems they may have something.

I remember a colleague looking into a new alloy. May have been this, but it was never adopted. Sometimes the developer wants to keep it so secret that no one wants to take the risk.

I notice they don't talk about when it burns. Fires do get pretty hot. Since that's a long time use it might be important.

$/lb ???????????

It would be great for destroying a downed spy drone!!!

8. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

This forum is becoming annoying. Why don't you just check it out if your interested and save your negative comments and bs commentary if not. WTF!!!

9. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

There have been innumerable "new, exciting" material developments in my 35 year career.
    99% of them have never reached commercial usage. If even 1% in fact.

That's because useful economic materials developments are a highly demanding combination of good properties, no surprising poor properties, the ability to process the material without huge development costs, and no issues like fire, poisonous issues, etc., - and most of all - low cost.

People who don't deal directly with these issues always get supper excited based on inflated advertising.

Be annoyed all you want - you just ought to be realistic.

I'd check it out, but the useful information is obviously being held closely, and you and I are not going to get it unless we work for a large corporation and spend big money.
    Before I retired, my company tried to start a project using this material in order to reduce the cost of military aircraft.
    We couldn't get cooperation or data.

What do you think any individual can do?

If you feel so strongly, then get some useful data and share it.

10. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Why not just look if you are interested, they aren't hiding anything. The whole flammability thing is covered. Want to ask them about machinability, purchasing options as in finished products or ingots, it's all there. So what is the point of just writing this off as marketing hype? It's a real product available now! ... dont' know why image didn't attach

Attached Files:

11. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

Can you order it thru McMaster-Carr? What about Metalmart?

You aren't getting excitement here because, besides well founded cynicism for the "latest, greatest!", there isn't a great application for it in boat design because weight isnt' as absolutely critical as it is in aerospace. So your offense at the lack of shared engushiasm leads me to believe you must be a shareholder or something.

12. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

A shareholder? Yes right that is what I am James, you found me out!! And your comment about weight is really off base, lightness is very often a consideration. But why beat this thread up anymore, maybe the moderator can delete it since it's clearly not appropriate for the "Materials" forum! That's the last bit of time I waste on this.

13. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

Take your pills George.

14. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Jorge,

I really wasn't trying to "spin you up".
    I am interested in the material, but what you think is a "specification" is not nearly enough for someone actually wanting to engineer a product.
    And it would be easy enough for them to say what the cost of an ingot or plate is. But they don't.

Their statements about flammability are just advertising. Did you notice that they , in effect, admitted that there are flammability concerns in the manufacturing process?

Marc

15. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

OK, thread closed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.