Engine Stringers

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by SecondChance248, Sep 2, 2018.

1. SecondChance248

SecondChance248 Junior Member

DC877BB0-DB7A-4B1E-B87B-06A7352404FC.jpeg 096DB16C-BD1C-4B5C-B742-D6A93143CFF7.jpeg

I was curious if anybody could offer some insight or tips on installing Motor Beds for a 248 Wellcraft Sportsman, with a 260 MerCruiser.
    The primary use of the boat is for trolling, and I was wondering if there’s anything that can be done that would absorb vibration better.
    Should I place stringers on foam, rubber or just straight epoxy to the hull shell?
    I plan to use 8-12oz tabs of DBL 1200 for a total of 96oz, would this be adequate?
    Thanks for reading,
    Jim

2. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Hi Second Chance,

Stringer questions are posted frequently. Rather than start another discussion I'm going to put a link below to a discussion we had on this very topic when I was doing a similar project a few years ago, actually going on 10 years ago now. Time flies. There are numerous pictures of how I made my engine stringers and also some valid criticisms and discussions of how I could have done my stringers differently and probably a bit better. Paul Ricelli was particularly helpful and his comments are especially worth some study. We got sidetracked a bit with posting photos but keep following the posts and you'll find a really good discussion on page 2 and 3 of the thread. I think so, anyway. You may or may not know that Paul died suddenly last May. He's greatly missed by many of us here. The stringers I built have provided hundreds of hours of service over the past decade.

Stringer And Deck repair https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/stringer-and-deck-repair.29459/

3. SecondChance248

SecondChance248 Junior Member

Thanks so much for the link, I'm going to give it a read.
    I knew Paul, he was helping me through the restoration up until his passing.
    I'm actually the one the started the original post informing everyone.
    Thanks again and I'll respond back with any questions.