fiberglass hull thickness

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Gianf1041, Dec 18, 2019.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

the only reason I bothered to coin in is noone was pushing back on 11-12mm skins and a 7mm core

I agree the 20mm foam seems a bit much and I agree that this is amateur hour.

But noone else gave him a wild suggestion on skins n core.

I would never design a hull. But I recently got a tender plan and I intend to drop the numbers into Gerr to compare my plan with Gerr. If nothing else; it makes good reading and is a well written text.

2. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

We will get to that. I agree this is very much an amateur hour.:D

It is already 7 pages long and we are still in the definition of Depth.

Ad Hoc and fallguy like this.
  3. Gianf1041

Gianf1041 Junior Member

In small steps without exaggerating but only to learn I hope to get there too ..........; I understand that many of you are patient professionals.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

To answer the question you started the thread with, give the approximate width, depth and general shape. On the other hand, if you are looking at designing a hull, start at the beginning of the process: state what the boat is expected to accomplish and how it should do it.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

In post # 11 the OP uses a language that seems quite professional.
    I believed that, from there, we could talk about and give him, as he demanded, technical support. I never thought we were in the phase of knowing how the dimensions of a ship are measured. I am somewhat confused, really.
    He wonders about the weight, which is one of the most difficult and important issues to determine on a ship, before knowing how its dimensions are taken. Curious and amazing.

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

:(

Ilan Voyager likes this.
  7. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Oh yes fortunately. You can get the European rules for small boats. Search for that, rather easy to find by Google. The Gerr book being very conservative will probably comply with the European rules but to check all the points. Evil is in the details. There are also rules of security detailing all the security material required following your category of navigation, even including the mandatory mooring equipment (don't forget it in the calculus of displacement). You'll have a lot of pages to read and understand.
    You have been warned: NA and NE are professions with rather long and hard studies asking after the diploma obtained with a lot of sweat and headaches a few years of experience are needed even for small yachts. Rookies have hard times at the beginning specially in commercial boats.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It is not that Gerr's book solutions are more or less conservative but that the current procedures for scantling the hulls with composite materials require a series of calculations that are not even mentioned in that book.

9. rxcomposite

Ok Gianf, forget about the Depth for a moment because that is complicated. Find the displacement of your boat. The formula is Length waterline x Breadth Waterline x Draught x Cb. Cb or Block Coefficient determines how "fat" your boat is. Barges and Bulk carrier will have about 0.85 while skinny and fast boats with elliptical hull or sharp V hulls will have 0.35 to 0.4. Yours is just a regular sailboat. Use 0.5 for the Cb and tell us what you get. We can adjust it later. At this point, we are interested only in underwater lines so we can figure out the pressures.

10. Gianf1041

Gianf1041 Junior Member

I apologize to everyone for complicating the problem, as an amateur I have tried to understand how to start a boat project; as I said in a previous post my experience is only of navigation so my design knowledge is limited, perhaps I have crossed over my border, ....... I hope to have translated correctly;
    I have calculated the block coefficient by dividing the hull volume in m3 with the product of the three main dimensions: Lwl x Bwl x hull immersion. The result of the calculation is: Cb = 0.35

11. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

The Gerr book permits to make very crude scantlings on some kinds of GRP hulls with such big security margins that the verification of "local" conditions is not necessary.
    Scantlings on sandwiches, a fortiori advanced composites, were not even covered correctly by the A1 Lloyds, nor the Veritas. I remember that only the DNV had some rules resembling to a reality. I do not know how the classification societies cover the topic of advanced composites now as I have not made scantlings since years. Surely they have good books as the composites are very common now.
    Composites can be specially tricky specially with the foams and delamination is the constant danger. Corrosion of honeycombs was another problem but nowadays nobody use aluminium honeycombs in marine use, the lesson has been learned.
    But the miseries happened when nobody had rules of thumb and a solid empiric basis plus fine calculation methods (and powerful computers). That was the case at the beginning specially in racing boats. Even for a prototype of mine hunter 52m 550 tons the engineers of the French Navy suffered beginning of the 70ies. The ship was strong enough but suffered of a lack of rigidity which killed regularly the drive shafts, plus some local delaminations. Now there are no problem of lack of rigidity nor delamination on mine hunters or big composite boats.
    Nowadays for a lot of types of boats there is enough data and cooking recipes for designing and building safely with no excessive weight. The technique is fully mature so lots of yards build composite boats as fishing boats until 50 meters long in sandwich and surely bigger for yachts.
    But very careful engineering is needed when you go for boats like a 33 meters trimaran ocean sail racer weighting complete only 13 metric tons...

12. rxcomposite

Still does not tell us anything. What is the L, B, D you used?

13. Gianf1041

Gianf1041 Junior Member

Sorry, but I don't understand the meaning of the translated question ............. = I calculated the block coefficient Cb and then calculate the displacement, as you say: "how fat the boat is" ..... .... the displacement calculated according to your formula is ...... Lwl x Bwl x D x Cb = mc 2,312 .......... the Cb = 0.35.
    I also calculated the hull volume with the sum of the areas of the two corresponding sections; their average is multiplied by the distance between them example: area sect 2 + area sect 3 divided 2 x distance between the two sect = mc, adding the volume of all the sums I obtained the volume in mc = 2,350... then the displacement . ? I hope I have explained and translated correctly.

14. rxcomposite

What is the dimension(distance) of the Length waterline, Breadth waterline, and draught you used to get to Cb of 0.35? If I don't know the draught, I won't be able to calculate bottom pressure.

15. Gianf1041

Gianf1041 Junior Member

6.81 x 2.23 x 0.44

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.