wood hull design

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by knbaudio, Jan 4, 2012.

1. knbaudio

knbaudio Junior Member

hello guy's,

i'm new to this site and looking to build or see if someone has a kit for a replica of my dad's old wooden boat. i bought a 3d boat design software i'm still waiting for, but have tried there sample software and having no luck. we found out his old boat is rotten and a tree fell on it, so i was looking to build, find a kit, or plans. i can use to put a boat together as a remote control. his boat was a 1962 borum wooden hull turbocraft jet boat. i'm thinking after scaling down it would be around 4foot long, i have the jet drive for remote control boats and a 26cc zenoah water cooled weed waker motor for remote control boats. if anyone has any ideas, plans, kit, or any info at all. thanks for looking and i put pictures of dad's boat and the write up of dad's hull.

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A RC boat will be shaped slightly differently then the full size version, but it'll look cool and can have all the styling clues of the original.

Forget about self designing one, just buy a set of plans. There are several model sites that can help you out, as this is a common hull form to make RC.

Full size plans for these hull forms are also available, from several sources. And welcome aboard Knbaudio.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Ditto. Welcome, knbaudio.

Attached Files:

4. knbaudio

knbaudio Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, I've been looking at Rc boats and kits because I've been doing that for years along with real boat all my life. I haven't found the right hull some come close but just not right, because I'd like to have the Rc gear hidden under the deck and cockpit. Ive scratch built crackerbox boats for Rc plus 100's of other kits. Ive worked on and restored real boats but this one is different and looking to make a exact replica. But thanks for the reply and info

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

An exact replica will not preform very well if scaled down. It's simple physics and not particularly intuitive for those not comfortable with geometry. Simply put and scaled down model will need more beam for it's length and much larger appendages or it'll handle like crap.

6. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

If you want length, beam etc, ie. physical appearance to be exact, then you'll have to adjust the stability (which is a function of form) another way, eg lowing CG.

Yes weight scales too, and associated inertia and stability. It is simple physics, and you can not have a perfect scale model. Some parameters will stay the same, while others will have to be adjusted.

Thing is, you get to decide which are important. And don't expect all performance par to be the same, ie. mpg but turning radius might be.

7. liki

liki Senior Member

Scaling into model size also results in heavier than in scale construction often due to practical issues alone. E.g. while a 5m boat could well be built with a 1cm thick skin, your 1:10 scale model could have some issues with 1mm thick skin.
    The solution is to increase depth which allows to preserve scale for length and width.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.