Fiberglass help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by timplett, Sep 18, 2006.

1. timplett

timplett Junior Member

This isn't about boats, but I needed someplace to ask about fiberglass use. I am fiberglassing a small part, and the problem is I can't just fiberglass it and set it down, because it will stick. My question is: does fiberglass stick to wax paper? If it does, is there something else I can use?

2. Toot

Toot Senior Member

I don't know whether it sticks to wax paper, but I've often wondered that myself. My suspicion is that, even if it doesn't stick, there will be residue that will make future bonding or painting difficult.

But with a little bit of mold release, you can use plate glass, aluminum foil, aluminum tape, mylar film, or a sheet of metal.

3. timplett

timplett Junior Member

Thanks. I might test something unimportant out on the wax paper. I'm not really familiar with all this, what is mold release and where can I get it?

4. JEM

JEM Senior Member

you should be able to put the part on a standard plastic sheet like you'd use for gardening or paint drop cloth. It should not stick to plastic.

Use plastic that won't wrinkle easy, 4 mils or thicker.

5. timplett

timplett Junior Member

Thank you very much.

6. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

get some mylar its what all the fiberglass shops use, wax paper will work , ive even used bristol board with some wax on it, u can always use scotch tape say the 2 inch wide stuff and laminate it to a sheet of paper ,

7. timplett

timplett Junior Member

Thanks.

8. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Just cut a side out of a plastic milk jug if this is large enough. The piece will pop right off when cured and will have a nice smooth surface. I use Saran wrap all the time and just about any plastic bag will do in a pinch.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.