New Surf Lifeguard Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mey Brothers, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Mey Brothers

Mey Brothers Junior Member

Mey Brothers LLC has designed a new surf lifeguard boat that integrates many years of rowing traditional lifeguard boats and training on the ocean and competing for many years. We have built a boat that is capable of being rowed as a single and double and meets United States Lifesaving and National Doryman Association National Class competition standards. We have combined our rowing shell and lifeguard boat experience and designed and built a boat that considers both influences. Take a look at our webiste, Mey Brothers, and tell us what you think, good rowing, Ray

2. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

How about a link if you want people to check it out?

3. Mey Brothers

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

How about a link that works? :rolleyes:

5. Mey Brothers

Mey Brothers

I registered my webiste under my other business, www.securityconsultantsinternational.com. This is confusing so that best way to get to our website in the interim is to Google: Mey Brothers. I apologize for the inconvenience, please bear with us, Ray

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Found the rules, page 84 of http://usla.org/events/2009USLALifeguardRules.pdf

6.8 SURFBOATS
    Two Man Surfboat shall conform to the following USLA specifications.
    Helmets shall be worn by all rowers.
    a. Length is not to exceed 20 feet 6 inches.
    b. Length bottom is not to exceed 16 feet 6 inches, including any rocker.
    c. Beam is not to exceed 72 inches at gunwale.
    d. Width is not to be less than 21 inches at the widest outside bottom
    measurement across the chines.
    e. Gunwale Height (freeboard). When calculating gunwale height, surfboats will
    be placed at level on a flat plane. Gunwale height will be the measurement
    taken from the top of the gunwale to the plane, at 90 degrees to that plane. At
    no place shall the gunwale height be less than 21". At the bow, and within one
    foot of the bow, at the gunwale, the gunwale height shall not be less than 34".
    At the stern, and within one foot of the stern, at the gunwale, the gunwale
    height shall be no less than 30".
    These measurements pertain to Schock-type dories only.
    f. The "crown" of surfboat deck will be allowed a tolerance of plus or minus one
    inch.
    g. The minimum weight, including thwarts and oar locks, shall not be less than
    300 lbs.
    h. The span between oarlock centers at the oar well centers will be determined
    by the individual.
    i. Construction material is to be left to the builder's preference.
    j. Non-binding foot straps will be permitted, however, sliding seats will not be
    allowed.
    k. Oars can be of any construction and may be individually shaped or formed as
    desired.
    l. Boat markings: lettering and numbers on boats are required. Letters and
    numbers must be placed on the bow of the boat in block style and of a
    contrasting color.
    Minimum sizes--16 inches high, 12 inches wide, 3 inches in thickness.
    m. Surfboats used in competition since 1960 not meeting these standards will be
    allowed to continue racing as long as they meet minimum weight.

7. Mey Brothers

USLA spec reqs

Thanks for the info. Mey Brothers Surf rowing boats were very careful to comply with all of these specifications.

8. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

How well suited is the design for regular use on the beach by lifeguards? Or was it designed primarially for competition keeping within the rules? Based on the photos it looks to me like it was optimized more for open water rowing than surf ability. http://www.securityconsultantsinternational.com/pictures.html

9. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I just checked and meybrothers.com is not registered. You should defiantly register is ASAP and then you can move your site over. I recommend Register 4 Less ( http://uf.register4less.com/ Note no "www") which is who I use. They're $16 USD a year and that includes 10 MB of hosting. I've been with them for close to a decade and have never had any problems. And no, I'm in no way connected to the company.

If you need help with this process drop me a line at <my user name> @cthippo.com

10. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

11. Mey Brothers

Aussie boats are cooler

You are right about that! no argument from me. Thanks also for the advice on the website development. We are new to the game and as you know it is hard to get everything going in the right direction when you start out. We hope that we can make a go of it in this business and welcome all input...Thanks!

12. Mey Brothers

In regard to its design, yes it was designed and built mainly for the competition aspect but following all of the USLA lifeguard competition boat specification requirements which you know are geared for surfboats that can hold their own in the surf. We have integrated both requirments into the boat design with both impacting the surfability and speed of the boat The boat weighs a little over 300lb, is 17feet long, has fixed seats and has a 46inch beam. This is narrower than some the other lifeguard boats out there such as the Van Duyne which has a 60 inch beam. This is where we are sacrificing the surfabilty for speed, but as you know it is a balance that is needed to be able to optimize both. This is our first boat we have rowed it in flat water and a 3-4ft following sea and it is very seaworthy and moves comfortably with 2 rowers at 5.5 miles per hour. We competed in a race this summer as the only boat like this as all of the others were shells. They left us in the dust but we finished the 15mile race in the ocean in good conditions in 3 hours. We were pleased with the performance of the boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.