Paint shaver pro

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Steve W, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Any of you guys using this tool made by American International Tool Industries? Its also marketed as the Marine shaver pro. Im looking for a reasonably priced tool for removing the gelcoat and skincoat on the bottom of a a 26ft boat that will do the job easier than a grinder. It seems that the only handheld tools available are this tool or the gel planer which is a lot more expensive. If anyone has any other recomendations of a tool im not aware of (other than a grinder) i would appreciate it.
    Steve.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I haven't seen a gel coat peeler in action for years. Seems all the yards prefer to sandblast. They tell me the gear is more versatile and does a better job. Unless you need a peeler for a special application you might speak with the local marine sandblaster and inquire about his capabilities..

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I find sandblasters to be easier and faster to use. With the planers, you have to grind the spot you can't reach.

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Thanks guys, over the years we have bith hired sandblasting contractors to do the job and rented the equipment and done it ourselves and while it works ok for a big job i find it a bit of a production getting set up for a smaller job by the time we tent everything off to contain the dust, mask off, pick up the equipment, pick up the blast media, do the job,then return the equipment clean up and dispose of the mess etc, the actual blasting is the easy part. The boat i need to peel is my own 26ft sailboat which is in my yard, not at the shop and i would like to be able to do it a couple of hours at a time in the evenings which precludes renting sandblasting equipment. Also i would like to reduce the mess, so, i would like to hear from anyone who has actually used one of these tools, who can tell me the pluses and minuses, if they work as well as the videos show,how long the blades are likely to last etc. I must say both the tools i mentioned look pretty impressive in the videos on their respective websites.
    Steve.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Post a link.