Effects of Atmospheric Pressure on Vacuum Level

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Tungsten, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

I'm at 3200' or 950M ish above sea level.Charts suggest a perfict vacuum would be around 26.6Hg.My pump will pull too 25.5Hg i think i'm good enough for infusion.
    Am i right in saying its no different then pulling 28.8 at sea level?

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

25.5 Hg is the point at which your pump cannot expel more than the air leakage, so a state of equilibrium is reached. That is regardless of altitude, at 3200' that point is reached a little bit earlier.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The pump is rated for pressure differential. As long as atmospheric pressure is over 25.5Hg you will get the same vacuum.

4. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

Sorry i don't fully understand your answers.I guess i just want to know if i'll be ok to try an infusion test?

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

just do it !! theres only two answers yes it works or no it dosent !!
    Its only sucking out the air even if you were in outer space its just sucking air out of a bag !!:D

6. Herman

Herman Senior Member

This pump should be ok.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.