Fiberglass fire damage to a fiberglass boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Eagle Boats, Apr 11, 2006.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Sounds like you're in luck, have fun and stay close to shore until you have some confindance.

2. laffenxxx

laffenxxx New Member

Wake up this again with a question.

Im wonder if I going to buy a fire damage boat , this boat stand on the side of a other boat that got fire . Is it something to buy for fixing it up ???
    Its a 1996 Bayliner 2655 and the price is 25 % of the normal sales price here .

Attached Files:

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Laffenxxx,

If you have to ask, the answer is no. A 15-year-old Bayliner 2655 goes for 15k to 30k euros in good condition; fixing that thing up would cost at least that much. The rubrail has completely melted, the windows are gone, and the hull side is scorched. That means that it was hot enough, for long enough, to seriously compromise the structure in that region.

It might be a candidate to strip for parts if you're trying to build a similar new hull on the cheap.

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Matt is righ. It would take a major rebuild to repair that side of the boat. Let some one else worry about it.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well I would have a go at it. I do my own work so I dont know about fixing prices by a yard but if that was cheap I would repair that.

A bucket of soap and water would clear a lot of it.

6. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Looks like a possible donor boat to me.

7. PAR

A 75% reduction in price is highway robbery for this boat. You should be able to negotiate it down to 90% of it's value.

Find out if it'll start or at least crank over. Find out if the title is an "AFP" (Assembled From Parts) or if it's being sold on the original paper. This will tell you a few things: first it'll tell you that the insurance company has declared it a total lose and someone is trying to make some money on a total lose and more importantly the AFP title will greatly degrade it's resale value, as most don't want an "assembled" boat.

You shouldn't pay any more then the hardware is worth as scrap, so any price over $1,500 (USD) is out of line. Lastly find out if there's a yard bill, mechanic's lien, storage bill, repair bill, etc., outstanding on the boat, as you'll be liable for this too.

In short, unless you have considerable experience repairing and restoring 'glass production boats, then you shouldn't even think about a project like this. There are hundreds of pit falls that the novice wouldn't see at first glance, any of which can make the project a nightmare.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If the guy wants to do it up and sell at a profit then he had better know what he is doing but I could get that boat with windows back in and cleaned out in a week up an running take the kids out for 1500dollar.

I agree, I would say 2000, thats a cheap boat for a run about.

You wouldnt buy the motor and leg for that.

If that was here for 2000 and the motor ran ( and why should it not) ide buy on what I can see on the photos

I think a lot of that black would compound out --not all but most. But if it didnt get a big go fast sticker or stripe right over the boat, think about it.

9. PAR

I can buy Bayliners over here, just like that one, that haven't been burned, but have distressed owners and lousy up keep for $1,500. I steal outdrives and engines all the time this way, just tossing the boat at the local landfill, once I've stripped out what I want. I have a 1995 Alpha and 305 V8 sitting right here and they came out of a $1,000 Bayliner with a soft sole and loads of neglect. I sold the trailer for $300 and kept the windshield, controls and drive package. The hull was ground up and powered the incinerator at the landfill for a few hours.

10. laffenxxx

laffenxxx New Member

This boat have a 5,7 Mercruiser that is served for winter. They dont know how many hours but engine should be ok . This is in Norway and here we have to pay 40000 to 60000 USD for a boat like this in good shape . Its the insurance company that selling the boat and all papers is ok . The gelcoat has damage and have to be removed and replaced on side where its burned . Its a lot of work but not imposible and i would do this by my self in my workshop .

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Then 2k is cheap init?

12. PAR

You'll be buying a totaled boat from the insurance company. They payed the owner of this boat the policy value and now are looking to recover some of those costs.

Again, unless you have considerable experience with repairs, restoration and construction of 'glass boats, then the best advise you can receive, is to find a better project. It's very likely you'll find much more then just gel coat damage, such as delamination, melted plastic parts on the controls, warped cables, melted sheathings, melted wire insulation, shorted out umbilical, etc., etc., etc. So, how much gel coat experience do you have? Plumbing, electrical, electronics, system installations, systems diagnoses, lamination and fabrication experience?

There's a really good reason the insurance company elected to declare this a total lose, because they've priced out how much it'll be, to get it back into working order and this figure is more then the boat's worth. Maybe you can save some on personal labor, but again, unless you really have some significant experience, in the different areas mentioned, you'll spend a whole lot more fixing this old girl then she's worth and it'll still just be a Bayliner.