Fiberglass Fairing Material Question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Hellkell, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Hellkell

Hellkell Junior Member

Hi,

I am doing some fiberglass repairs to a catamaran I have. I am using the glass balls and the brown filler powder with epoxy resin to mix up some fairing compound.

I am wondering what is the proper mixture ration and what are the problems, if any, with mixing too much or too little of the filler powder in the resin. I am sorry I don't have the proper names for the filler powder but it is 0030 and the material is in the garage.

Is this mixture better than using some other premixed filler?

Thanks for any advice.

Kevin

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Epoxy and micro bubbles is a good solution for large repairs or fairing a surface. You can get some very quick setting car body repair bog. One variety has fibreglass threads to give it strength. This does not sag as much as epoxy and can be sanded within about 1 hour so is faster for small jobs. It sets too quickly for big jobs.

If you do not get the epoxy stiff enough it will sag while it sets so it takes a few goes to fill a large dip. I get it as stiff as I can stir it and try to overfill a large dip. I typically use 4 times micro bubbles in volume to epoxy to start with and then add more micro bubble a little at a time until the mixture is nice and stiff.

I have not really tested durability for many years but it is OK for at least a couple of years.

Rick W.

3. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

to stop the sagging add some cabosil to the mix, say 10% any more and its a ***** to sand the cabosil is hard

4. Hellkell

Hellkell Junior Member

Thanks for the help gents.

Kevin