Fiberglass construction costs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rocknrule, Jun 15, 2008.

1. rocknrule

rocknrule Junior Member

Is there a rule for fiberglass buiding costs. I've been told that in production a typical fiberglass motorboat cost about US$2.50 - 3.00 per lb to build. I was also told this includes labor costs. Thus a 4,000 bare boat might cost up to US$12,000. I'm looking to put some rough figures together for a business plan. Can anyone advise me. The costs I'm looking for is for vynlester resin in infused molding.

Thank you
    rocknrule

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

rocknrule, I think that $ number is way low & might be for just bare material in poly resin & glass content & a bit low even for that, get some per kilo or pound prices(by the drum) from local suppliers & a catalog of all the other stuff/consumables you need to do some glasswork & factor some overhead/rent/labour & insurance etc. Regards from Jeff.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Today that price is very low and probably does not include design costs or the creation of the production mold . This can run many thousands, as can "permission" from the local gov to actually get into business.

FF

4. rocknrule

rocknrule Junior Member

At $3 per lb that makes a 4,000 lb boat $12,000 for the bare fiberglass boat. It would seem that is pretty high when you consider you can buy a brand new powerboat with trailer and motor for $32,000. And that is from a dealer who adds his margin to all the other costs. So it can't be to much above $3 / lb if you're going to make money - maybe $4 / lb ???

rocknrule

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

rocknrule, I think you might be mixing your statistics there, if your including the motor & trailer + fitout in the wieght, that 4000lb vessel "might" have a structural weight of 1400lb? (gelcoat,resin,glass,core) & if its a drive away deal from a dealer say of glastron or whatever boats its gunna be pretty hard to get the same buying rates from suppliers as a high volume constructionist. As another example a 40' sailing cat might have a structural wieght of 2.75T but cost to buy at a dealer well over a half million $ once all the shiny goodies & fitout & rig & engines fitted. Sure theres money to be made in boats, & they can be just funny shaped fiberglass boxes with "stuff" bolted to 'em but plenty of quite clever people have turned large fortunes into small fortunes in doing so. All the best in your endeavours from Jeff.

6. rocknrule

rocknrule Junior Member

Waikikin, you're absolutely right. I'm an engineer and that just went right over my head and I'm typically really thorough in my calculations.

So here's the issue; I've developed a completely new concept for the powerboat market (and I'm a mountain person who doesn't really like boats). But I do like the recreation industry and the boating industry appears to lack many of the business practices I would bring.

I'm in the process of building my business plan and need to identify all my costs beginning with the basic boat costs. Any help would be appreciated.

7. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

Direct costs to produce chop gun products out of molds with Mexican labor run about $4.20 per lb.

But the finish on these boats are low industrial quality, and I would add about another $1 for facilities.

8. rocknrule

rocknrule Junior Member

Thanks Bullshipper, What would you guess a high quality layup would cost using a resin infusion technique in a prodution environment. A good example would be a high quality 25 - 30 Ft 15 degree deadrise center console type boat.

Thanks
    rocknrule

9. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

I have no data other than what I gave you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.