Fiberglass canoe

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Jeff Bobelak, May 9, 2017.

1. Jeff Bobelak

Jeff Bobelak New Member

Hi all, I know in comparison to what some of ya'll build a little ol' canoe isn't much but I had a few things I wasn't sure about and needed some input on.

First I'm not sure the maker of my canoe, cannot find any serial numbers on it. Based on looking at other pictures of other canoes I think it may be a Mohawk. I added some pictures.

With not knowing who made it and being completely new to any kind of boating I wasn't able to find anything on Google when I tried to find replacement gunwales.

The plan is to pull the gunwales, strip the paint, do a little fiberglass work, fix the seats(shoddy prior repairs), make some custom thwarts to hold my beer and fishing pole and basically just make it the way I want it.

Along with not able to find gunwales, the triangular piece at the front of the canoe - what is that called and where can I get one ?

Also, as you can see in the picture they put the battery tray on top of the flotation tank. I was going to cut out the tank, and make a frenched in battery tray and fill in all the area with closed cell foam and make a lid out of solar panels to recharge the battery - any issues with doing that ? i.e. how much foam(and what kind) to replace how much area of air ?

Lastly for now, it seems marine top paint is an alkyd enamel oil soooo.... I'm not looking for lifetime durability, etc, etc.... will standard oil based Alkyd Enamel house paint(read - cheap) do the trick ?

Thanks all,
    Jeff

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are several manufacturers that make gunnel/rubrail material. For example, TACO. The front piece is called a breast hook. It is probably made for that model and will be hard to find one that fits exactly. If you cut a hole in the flotation tank and install a battery, you will have to make the tank bigger to compensate. A size #24 battery weighs about 50lb. That will be equivalent to about one cubic feet of foam filled tank.