fiberglass building techniques

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by sspowersports, Jul 7, 2008.

1. sspowersports

sspowersports New Member

Can anyone recommend the best book on building a boat using fiberglass?

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

That's a loaded question. Can you be a bit more specific? What kind of boat? How big? Power? Sail? Both? Barge? etc. There are literally thousands of different material combinations if you consider the types of core material available, plywood, foam, plank, balsa, type of reinforcement, fiberglass, mat, biaxial, knitted, carbon fiber, kevlar, etc. and combine that with the types of binders available, epoxy, polyester, vinylester etc. You can quickly see where one book won't cover it all. Most books I've seen are from a particular designer or builder that is promoting his method and materials.

The benefit of having a boat design forum like this is you get a quick overview of the materials guys are actually using and what' has/hasn't worked for them.

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i was gonna tell him 1 book probably wouldnt come close,,specially talking bout the "best",,hehe,, but ive never read 1 before so was waiting for a reader to tell him,,hehe ;)
    thanks knotty :D

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

5. sspowersports

sspowersports New Member

Thank you for your replies. The book suggested by SamSam looks very interesting. I am an amateur and just needed a place to start. Ultimately I would like to build a yacht tender so any additional reading suggestions would be greatly appreciated.