Fiberglass Boat Estimate Time

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by pai wu, May 15, 2013.

1. pai wu

pai wu Junior Member

Anyone know the time duration for each process of fiberglass boat?

2. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

Hi pai wu,

you need to give us a little more information. I does depend somewhat on what process you are doing ie: 3M systems?, how big is the boat? etc.
    are you laying fibreglass fibre with epoxy.

different systems have different drying times.
    you may have to refer to the manufacturers recommendations to answer your question.

also there is the time involved with lofting and things like that.
    hope this helps,
    DE

3. pai wu

pai wu Junior Member

Thanks Dirteater,

actually i want to know estimation time for 1 meter cubic for each mold and laminate process using hand lay-up with polyester resin.

4. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

sorry pai,
    but that is beyond my knowledge, :(
    I'm sure another member could probably advise you better on this. :D

5. pai wu

pai wu Junior Member

its ok Dirteater,

thanks anyway. :)

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The time schedules are based on many variables. For example, reinforcements, amount of curves and angles, whether the laminate can be done in one shot or in several stages, etc. You, as a designer, specify all that, and the builder can give you a time schedule based on your specifications and design.

7. pai wu

pai wu Junior Member

8. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

You have to break down the work process and identify the work standard units. This is called Project Management. MS Project is a simple software (not so simple if you don't know the basics).

If you want to go further, or learn more about it, study PERT-CPM (Project Evaluation Review Technique-Critical Path Method). It deals with parrallel operations, shortening (working overtime) or lengthening a duration, evaluating a project cost and its impact,etc.

Lastly, you have to factor in the learning curve. The amount of work (time, labor, resources) depends on the skill of the workforce.

For example, a simple project might go like this.

Mold Prep (cleaning, waxing)
    Gelcoat Spray- (X kg/hour)
    Lamination- 3 kg/hour (fiber + resin), manual layup
    Curing- (hours, no labour just time)
    Demoulding-(kg/hour)
    Trim- (linear meter/hour)
    Sub total Hours-Labor

Assembly-% of lamination process
    Outfitting- hours dependent on the complexity of boat.

Manhours to be multiplied by a factor based on the learning curve. Say 2x base estimate for first boat. 1 x base of estimate second boat. 0.90 x base for third boat.

9. Cobra1

Cobra1 Junior Member

It all depends on how freaking old you are as to how fast you can move.

10. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...also it is NOT priced by the cubic metre, it is layers of square metres x the number of layers.
    In China we priced by the weight of materials (cos that is how we buy the materials, by weight, not meterage). Cost is about $5 per kilo for glass and resin (each).
    Materials sold by the metre are retail costs.

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I believe this is a blind, looking to create a spread sheet for the blind, situation here.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

He want to design a "simple software" to calculate construction time. That kind of software is very complicated and sophisticated. It also needs knowledge and experience on every aspect of the construction.

13. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

a question !! how was it done ??

All this depends on how much detail you want to record and why !!
    You need to actually build about 3 boats the same to get times for each operation .:idea:

What I did was make a work sheet for each of the boats we used to work on !!.
    It showed the complete build process from the waxed mould stage to the hull completed hanging on the hook on the load cell scales and gave us a final weight for that particular boat number !!.
    In production with the same people doing the same jobs its amazing just how close the weight used to be to previous boats!!, slowly over time I introduced new and better methods that meant using less resin and took less time to do but still used the same amount of glass as before !! even the guys doing the work remarked at the difference and how much easier it all ways !!.

Any one know how this can be done ?? :confused:
    and what do you need to change to be able to achieve such a thing ???? !

The resin saving of 90 kgs alone was quite significant on a 36 foot hull with core in the topsides and longitudinal bearers .
    On the hull and the deck combined was very close to 150 kgs of resin weight saved but still the same amount of glass was used !!
    The amount of reduction in working hours was a lot different and no one worked any harder than before just they worked differently !!:!:
    The time reduction feel from 7 working days to 4 and 1/2 !!
    Any one what to have a shot at how it was done ??
    This was making the hull and deck and all the small mouldings !!
    Boats were always to this stage each time when they were ready for demoulding and placing into there cradle .

The company never had any idea how much material was used to make each boat and definitely didn't know how many hours was involved to make each part of each boat :eek:
    I did this excise over the making of 6 boats and gave a really good record of all and every phase of the manufacturing process and how much difference changing things gradually was having an effect . :cool:

The office lady was astounded when she came and asked me for number of hours and list of all the material used !! I just reached in the draw and handed her my files for the last 6 boats ! she could not believe it and walked away shaking her head in disbelief !! :D

14. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Normal to have a BOM and time estimate, but I am certainly not going to disclose mine to anyone inless i am working for them.

15. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

oooh why not ?? you are really mean !!!
    I'LL SHOW YOU MINE IF YOU SHOW ME YOURS !!:confused: