lapstrake panels

Discussion in 'Materials' started by daddyhobbit, Apr 8, 2016.

1. daddyhobbit

daddyhobbit New Member

Our Vagabond 47 has a overhead panel in the galley that looks like lapstrake. It is FRP about 3/16" with the V grooves on 2" centers. Unfortunately the previous owner removed all but the galley replacing it with a plywood panel with a cloth covering. I am wanting to use the FRP Lapestrake panels through out the vessel

I have not been successful in locating a source, can anyone help me out?
    Thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think you are referring to grooved panels not lapstrake. Can you post a photo? That will make it easier.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Your boat has been out of production for some time and Blue Waters Yachts also have been out of business for some time, so you'll need to purchase used.

It might be better to just make some GRP wainscoting instead, which is what I'll assume was on your overhead previously. Lowe's/Depot sell a GRP wainscoting material in 4x8 sheets, might be worth a look.

4. daddyhobbit

daddyhobbit New Member

reply to Gonzo

Gonzo,
    I placed a page up on my web page of the overhead in the galley
    www.3sheets2thewind.net/ the picture is in Over Head

5. daddyhobbit

daddyhobbit New Member

picture

Par
    I was hopeful that someone still used the panels I was trying to contact Island Packet as I have seen it on their boats. They too are no longer in business. I will have to start looking for it in the used market place.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

7. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Hi Daddy Hobbit,

Surely you could simply use the real thing & pre finish the boards. I believe WRC grows on trees in the US. My wife wanted "fake" VJ around the end wall & bath in a reno, was actually same cost to do the real thing but easier to handle and more satisfying.
    Jeff.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah, this stuff is available in several materials: 'glass, PVC, paper composite, etc.

[​IMG]

Typically about $10 per 4x8' sheet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.