This designer was smoking something...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JosephT, Apr 6, 2012.

1. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Probably there will be someone who will find their artificial islands ideas original and attractive but I personally find them just ridiculous. Sorry if I am being too frank here.

But if we look at these renderings from a marketing point of view, they might have sense. They are principally mind-teasers and as such have a potential to make their way towards non-technical mass-media exposure. In tough times like these, every good, entertaining or just glossy and colorful news is readily published. Once you're there, the chances of finding a prey who might bite the bait grow exponentially. I guess that once one ends up in the headlines with stuff like this, he becomes entitled to present himself as a "renowned yacht-designer". As such, he will sooner or later get approached by a client who will ask him to design not really that fancy stuff but a more conventional yacht. Which, I guess, was the original intent of this marketing effort.

However, there is a concept on their web page which is imo worth a deeper technical discussion - the Project Utopia: http://www.yachtislanddesign.com/concepts/. It starts from a not bad idea - a floating hotel designed for a stationary use, but capable of occasional transfers to other locations (when weather and sea conditions are right). Might have some merits.

3. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Attached Files:

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I think Cussler thought of it first...Dirk Pitt saved the day again!

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The benefits of a movable condominium are vast, dont like your neighbours move, country changed laws,--- move-- , fuel prices better in the next country----move--move--move etc etc.

A concept lost by the vastness of America I presume.

6. yachtie

yachtie Junior Member

The design looks insane to normal mortals as us, but take a look at some pics of Dubai an you might find that somewhere else, some people have taste and money behind reason and that thing wouldn't be out of place

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

When I hit the lottery, I'll buy a real island and laugh. I have the one I want already picked out.

8. keysdisease

The good things about islands is that they can't sink :cool: The bad thing is they don't move very well :cool:

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Who wants to move the damn thing, that's what boats are for.

10. Niru

Niru Mr.

hehe... i think the real prob here is "why make an artificial island too small?"

if you're willing to make one why not for the whole community... Imagine an artificial city were you dodge typhoons and go up and down the equator..hehe

in the near future... " a dome-floating-city "

11. daiquiri

12. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I like the volcano idea.... I am going to put one on my boat and run the exhaust of my engines thru it, and when the engine is burning a little oil it will look like a Krakatoa. The exhaust water can flow into the hot tub and provide a natural spring feel. I think we can fit one Tiki hut, 2 palm trees and hammock. The big problem is going to be convincing the Coast Guard that I am not high while operating a motor vessel, To this I will explain that they are the ones that must have taken something, I have no idea what they are talking about.

13. daiquiri

Mydauphin, LOL!!! :D :D :D

14. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Hey, i just notice, the laggon is missing dolphins

15. keysdisease

This isn't an island, but for those that can afford it it is a way to travel the sea in style with not only all the comforts of home, but home.

http://aboardtheworld.com/reside

Maybe the first step in this evolution?

Steve

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.