A Class build 2014

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CCYC, Feb 2, 2014.

1. CCYC

CCYC New Member

Greetings all,

I am planning on building an A class catamaran. I will be using the technique as the Lindahl |Roake builds. http://lindahlcompositedesign.weebly.com/lr5-build.html

Coming up with some prelim numbers & sources for materials. I am located in southern Indiana. Any help would be appreciated.

Christopher

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Good luck with the project. When you calculate the weight, there should be fairing compound and paint included. They are a considerable percentage.

3. CCYC

CCYC New Member

Percentage estimate

What would be your percentage estimate for paint & fairing compound? Of course, hoping I don't need too much to fill the weave of the veil.

Christopher

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Polyurethane paint weights at about 10-12 lb/gal. The fairing compounds vary a lot. However, the amount you use is very dependent on the finish of the hull. A very fair hull may only need a skim coat, while a poorly built one may have 1/2" of filler in places.

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Contact John Lindahl in Fennville, Michigan and ask him. I've talked to him several times at the Quiet Water Symposium and he was very open with information about how he builds his boats, their weights, etc. Contact information is available in the link in your first post.

1 person likes this.
  6. CCYC

CCYC New Member

thoughts on other vendors

Are there any better vendors to use than what I am thinking of?

Cost savings? I am willing to drive to pick up foam; if that saves anything.

Christopher

7. CCYC

CCYC New Member

Corecell M80

Where have you purchased Corecell M80? Which vendor did you purchase from?

Also, anyone use an epoxy mixing machine and if so which one is worth the money? Proset uses a 3:1 ratio.

Christopher

8. Baltic Bandit

Baltic Bandit Previous Member

You might want to drop in on the discussion on Sailing Anarchy. Most of the A-Class sailors are there. There have been some major changes at this point coming out of the worlds. in particular the ruling on Landy's Casette within a Cassettte as being legal.

this allows the Dagger board to be inserted into a "box" (cassette) that is basically the width of the hull minus the two skinned surfaces - and then the box and DB combined to be inserted into the hull.

What this allows is for the DB to be limited in its curvature only by
    a) the 750mm rule (ie no further inboard than 750mm from the inside edge of the hull)
    b) the curvature that can fit through a box the size of the hull at its widest point.

effectively this allows "J" boards that can be used for heave controlled foiling.

9. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I talked to John Lindahl last week at the Quiet Water Symposium. He said most of the builders are currently frozen until the future direction of the rules is confirmed.

10. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

These guys are pretty good with their rates on Core, it's where I got mine.
    http://www.easternburlap.com/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.