fiberglass and plastic

Discussion in 'Materials' started by tomj07, Mar 13, 2014.

1. tomj07

tomj07 New Member

does any type of epoxy adhere to plastic? I just replaced my whole rotten floor with a polyboard instead of wood. Now, I'm trying to fiberglass the polyboard to the hull itself. any suggestions?

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Can you use solid fasteners, steel, aluminum, or bronze, or a composite? Could you adhesive 1"X1 1/2" piece to the hull as a ledge to rest your sole piece on then screw it down?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum Tom.

Please be more spicific about what you've installed. "Polyboard" could be a number of things, HDPE, UHMPE, PVC, composite, reclaimed, etc. If it's the stuff I think it is (available at Lowe's/Depot) it's recycled milk jugs and other industrial waste products, extruded into sheets. There are so many of these types of products showing up on the market, I don't have data for all of them, so a true product name and possible manufacture would help narrow things down.

If it is reclaimed PE as I suspect, you can 'glass it, but not well. I wouldn't consider it a structural bond, that's for sure. It might be better to 'glass in a flange along the deck perimeter and bond the the new sole down to this. This would also permit hard fasteners and a bead of polyurethane (goo in a tube), just to be sure it doesn't leak.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.