AL600 Balsa - What are Pros and Cons?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CatBuilder, Jun 1, 2010.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Using AL600 Balsa, it's my understanding that this core material saves on epoxy because it's already pre-coated.

What advantages does this material have over open end grain balsa? What are the disadvantages?

I am picturing the bond between the resin I apply and the balsa.

If the balsa already has a layer or resin on it, aren't I just getting myself a mechanical bond to whatever coatings the company that makes AL600 used?

If I penetrate the balsa with resin myself, would I get a better bond by brining my resin straight into the balsa itself?

Am I over thinking this?

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

I don't think that you are overthinking this. I have wondered about this myself and will appreciate when you or someone else does a destructive test of like panels with AL600 and regular. Good luck and thanks for bringing it up!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.