The real and deadly pirates with government backing

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by watchkeeper, Aug 13, 2010.

1. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Workboat World August 2010 - an article about official and government sanctioned piracy by Indonesian, Indian and Eritrean Navy vessels. The mentioned navies are apparently arresting trawlers and reefers (with no fishing gear) in transit thru territorial waters on pretex of illegal fishing to extort ransoms from the owners plus seize/steal legal catches and onboard fuel.

In one case the Indian navy having damaged a trawler held by then abonded by pirates with gun fire later returned to sink the damaged trawler with more gunfire killing all but one Thai crew member to hide the evidence of their activities.

All the above cases are documented by proceedings in court, one case settled only after the judges although dismissing the illegal fishing charges demanded a 'private' payment before releasing the vessel.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. apex1

apex1 Guest

And what have we to do now?
    Ban all Indian products?
    May I remind that our workbench has killed innocent students for not agreeing with the system!? Place of heavenly freedom...........well it was heavenly for too many.....

Leave that crap out of here, this is the BD.net not your church or public park where you can make political (biased) statements.

Go away...
    Richard

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I think piracy is a legitimate subject for these forums--whether it be privately financed as in Somalia, or carried out by navy units in India, Indonesia or Eritrea. No one has suggested we should boycott India, and I don't understand what China or Tian'anmen Square has to do with the subject.

5. watchkeeper

<removed> may I remind you as an Australian who has served it was men like my father, uncles and both grandfathers fought against the tyrrany and destruction brought apon the world by ranting lunitics of your breed. So before you pass on your meaningless abuse try <removed>

6. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

LOL! Gee, watchkeeper, that must've been some post!

I had a fishing business(tuna) in the Southern Philippines, for a short time. Although my boats didn't run into similar problems, one of my captains had spent several months imprisoned in Indonesia, along with his crew, just prior to working for me. The Indonesian Navy arrested them and impounded their boat, even though they were in international waters, according to the captain.

Mike

7. watchkeeper

Re. my post, It was succinct, to the point expressed in good seaman like manner and a great pity the ranting ape x1 won't have the opporunity to wear a broadside with the same abuse he is permitted to continuously post in reply to legitimate business.
    As a senior consultant building commercial vessels and blue water superyachts any illegal activites in international or territorial waters affecting legitimate operations is a concern to me as it should be to all reasonable members of our collective industry.
    I was based for a short time in Indonesia (Batam), where every single government official we had to deal with was corrupt.

In summary I think the subject qualifies as general discussion and as Troy 2000 said appropiate for BDF

8. hoytedow

Did more people die off the coast of India or in The Square? The point is that if you are with a murderous nation you need to clean up your own act if you want others to listen to your criticisms of their misdeeds, or put another way, "Clean up your own backyard."

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

That was roughly the point I wanted to make, thanks Hoyt. Though I must say, it could have been expressed better, and well, a bit less rude. But at least it unveiled the political corner our watchkeeper comes from......................:D

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Let me get this straight: we aren't allowed to mention that there are navies in the world preying on civilian shipping, because the Chinese government killed student protesters at Tian'anmen Square?

I'm sorry, but that makes no effing sense at all.:confused:

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

I don´t think Hoyt meant it that way, neither did I.

12. hoytedow

13. watchkeeper

Uh Duh, 'Dicks' I'm Australian as in one that comes from Australia and although this may come as a shock but Australia is not part of China however I do admit, yer yah got me, I'm actually in China as consultant on a big project.
    Now as pushy as I can be not even I can change the direction of the People Republic of China because I'm A-u-s-t-r-a-l-ian. So Dicky and Moyetown, try to stay focused on the issues not the messenger, you may learn something of the outside of your own little bubbles

14. hoytedow

Well digerydoo up the Bilabong. It will be a g'day when we all learn to live together and sing Kumbaya or Tie Me Kangaroo Down without all the blarneyfied hostility. I was being frank not meaning to be rude. QANTAS all just get along?

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

Senseless Hoyt.

That is a *******, and a uneducated and rude one on top of that!

He expects that our members are clairvoyants, knowing that he is from A U S T R A L I A when he provides the info that he is from China!
    And he has missed the fact that the second world war is over since 65 years already, and none of us started it........
    But when the dumbnickel has no arguments he plays the "Nazi card", we have seen that quite often enough here, and always it came from the very uneducated only.

Good for us, the majority of our Ozzie members are quite different, and most probably they are happy that this watchdog lives abroad.

Although the issue is a serious one, the watchdog should better focus on his "big projects"...............