Fiber glass boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Adarsh Edakkote, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Adarsh Edakkote

Adarsh Edakkote Junior Member

Hii All,

I am going to design an electric fiber glass boat.I just want to know what type of fiber glass material is used commonly to build boats?is there any requirements from class or from any authority?

Please advise

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

How is it that you're going to design a boat, yet don't have any idea about the material you've chosen to build it from? How is it possible to engineer a reasonable laminate schedule, without some basic understanding on the physical attributes, of the materials involved?

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

"requirements from class or from any authority?" : Much depends on the country you are going to build the ship. There are countries where you can do, almost, whatever you want and other countries where the applicable legislation will give up the attempt. You better ask the authorities of your country.

4. PAR

He doesn't even know what types of fabrics to employ, so how is he going to understand any classification stipulations?

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

PAR, I think you're right, there is a sixth sense telling us that perhaps the OP should prepare him self a little more before starting this adventure.
    Replying directly to what I think is his question, the authorities do not say what material should be used. Some materials are not suitable for shipbuilding, and some other could probably be forbidden, but what the competent authority could say, about materials, is: "you build the boat as you want but you must prove that the ship is sufficiently strong and secure."

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  6. PAR

Yeah, we're on the same page my friend and I'm sure you're correct, as I don't know of any classification or rule set, that makes laminate schedule suggestions either. We either engineer it to fit the rule or classification requirement or . . .

7. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

Do not let your dreams be your extinguish the doubts. jumping to the future and not to listen to anyone. The road to success is always difficult!

8. PAR

Now there's some good advice, just plow ahead, don't listen to anyone and hope for the best I guess. This must be a translation issue, as this is about the worst thing you could suggest.

9. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Its not the worst advice if the context is right. However in this case it is.

Learn to walk before trying to run is NOT an obstacle to reaching dreams - quite the contrary.

Edit: yeah "not listening to anyone" is bad advise pretty much always...

10. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

Par Remember ? you say the same to me! But I closed my ears and I hope now that the my project COMPLETED not you have the same view even .surely to run you must learn to walk. Strongly Agree !

11. PAR

m3mm0s, the difference between you and this person is you understood the realities of design and manufacture, while this person doesn't even know what fabrics to employ, let alone how to apply them. Suggesting someone just guess and ignore the realities of engineering the structure, is folly on the highest order.

12. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

PAR logically the man must have been aware of the materials and the application of. otherwise it is sure to fail. But they should not be there and the power of will to reach one of the end;

13. PAR

I agree with you m3mm0s, but his question suggests he doesn't have much grasp on material properties, let alone how to look them up.

14. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

Yes PAR you are right . I thought you knew not the provision of materials

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.