ferry design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nezf, Oct 13, 2016.

1. nezf

nezf New Member

hi i was just wondering if anyone could help me determine what dimensions i should use for a project.

Develop a concept for a passenger ferry required on the route Sydney Harbour – Manley. Vessel should be able to carry 200 passengers and should have a storage for 50 push bikes and a small cargo storage. At maximum capacity, vessel should be able to reach the peak speed of 30knots using 90% of total power.

Length and Beam:
    Overall length is between 25 and 35 m. Maximum beam is 10.5m. Maximum length is 35m. Length and beam are to be optimised to suit required 200 passenger capacity and maximum speed.

Speed:
    Trial speed 30 knots at maximum capacity Average service speed on the route 25 knots
    Range and tanks capacity:
    Fuel capacity based on 8 return trips a day
    Crossing distance as indicated on the map.
    Fresh water tank capacity 5 t
    Payload Capacity:
    200 passengers at 85kg
    Luggage storage provision 10kg/passenger
    Bike storage 50 bikes
    Crew 6
    Flag of Registry Australia
    Design Standard: NSCV
    Construction Material Aluminium Grades 5083, 5086, (6061 extrusions)

vessel type is 200 Passenger High Speed
    Monohull

thanks

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Why would a Manly ferry need 5 tonnes of fresh water for gawd's sake ?

3. nezf

nezf New Member

these are all figures for a university project that they have given us

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

nezf

The design will firstly be dictated by the deck area. Reason is that you have XX number of passenger seats and YY number of bikes to fit in too. Thus you need to get a scale rule and a sheet of A3 and draw out the max beam x length of 10.5x35. Then knowing the size of seats and the minimum seating pitch and aisle width how many can you fit on one deck. Then add the bikes, also taking into account their storage and the ease of manoeuvrability of the bike within the space provided. Then is all this possible on one deck.....and the rest slowly starts falling into place.

Good luck...

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'm still trying to figure out why the Manly ferry needs 5 tonnes of fresh water capacity.

6. JSL

JSL Senior Member

I may have looked at the wrong map but Sydney to Manley works out to about 6 naut. miles. You also go through what looks like waterways with speed limits. So, why so fast(25kn)... you'll arrive before you leave and no one will have time to enjoy the trip.
    But, I guess that 5 tons of water should slow you down a bit. 12 knots would be 30 minutes... less stress, less wake (for the shore people), more fun.

7. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

This sounds like a university project where the right answer is silly, and the real world answer is to control the client.

8. nezf

nezf New Member

thank you everyone for your contributions. i was also wondering if anyone who has used maxsurf software knows how to use it on macs?
    thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.