Ferro-Cement Multihull Scantlings

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by DrCraze, May 19, 2010.

1. tane

tane Senior Member

...hereabouts we have a very apt phrase about these sort on endeavours which would translate into "re-inventing the wheel"...

2. serow

serow Junior Member

3. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

Yes I think so: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36910 and http://www.gloucesterdocks.me.uk/vessels/nwmnarrowboats.htm .

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Ever heard of "Concrete Cancer". :?:

5. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

[​IMG]

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Let's see, we build a boat from one of the heaviest and least desirable of hull shell material choices and incorporate this into a hull form, that typically require lighter methods. What could go wrong . . .

A concrete airplane is possible, probably even built, though it still isn't the wisest option for the same reasons. If you're married to the idea, contact Jay Benford and get a real set of plans for ferro, or someone else with the appropriate experience in this material. Self designing just isn't an option without serious engineering skills and if you are an engineer, you already know the value of the research necessary when working in materials/processes you're unfamiliar with. You can go through this headache or pay to have it done by someone, where it's not so much of a brain stretch.

7. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

For all the badmouthing ferro gets, usually from those who have not actually built or owned one but somehow feel qualified to comment, there have been many very nice, long lived ones that have gone places and performed exactly the way they were meant to. I'm currently working on a Hans Cristian 38 that is heavier than the Hartley RORC 39 that I built 45 years ago as are many glass boats of the era when ferro building was popular. It would be possible to build a better one today, say, with basalt rebar and better mixes but I do agree that there are much better methods available today just like it has been pointless to build a carvel planked hull today (or for the past 50 years), There are simply better methods.

8. tane

tane Senior Member

...only a typical thing with not-so-heavily pointloaded ferro hulls (thrown towards piers, touching a reef, etc.) would be the collaps of a goodsized piece of hull...
    & their advantage remains to be demonstrated to not-only-my satisfaction...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.