simpel vpp calculator?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sailingdaniel, Jul 8, 2011.

1. sailingdaniel

sailingdaniel Junior Member

Does anyone know if there is a simpel ore easy to use calculator where u can enter the different ratios as lengt , displasiment , pc , wl beam , sailaria , wetted area, etc, etc and get some kind of result for how the design would perform. in different wind strength and angels?

Im using autocad , ore a small small part of it anyway , thats my level in computers and programs. wery basic stuff.. i think a "normal" VPP program would at least for now be way to comlicated for me.

I understan that PCsail is a free program but i cant find any place to download it , anyone knows? how comlicated is it to use a program like that? Do u need "enginering" level stuff ore can one whit normal computer/math knowledge lurn to use it?

Daniel

2. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

PCSail is owned by the University of Michigan, contact the marine engineering department. Without some naval archecture training it is probably too difficult to use. There are some others out there too, can't think of the names right now, might want to google fee vpp.

3. sailingdaniel

Thanks KenJ.

I have googeled free vpp many times and havent found anything. Im reading/lurning/ drawing as mutch i can while im out crusing. as a hobby/obsession.. I assume its to hard fpr me to use but it would be intresting to give it a try..

4. Olav

Olav naval architect

Have a look at Paul Kotzebue's superb web site. You can download a Delft-Series/"Principles of Yacht Design" based VPP (written in Excel) from the "Naval Architect's Notebook" page - as well as lots of very nice drawings and other information.

By the way: Thanks for that, Paul!

5. sailingdaniel

Exel , sounds like the thing for me . Ill have a look..Tank u Olav