KATHRYN B by thomas colvin

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by schoonerman70, Jul 18, 2017.

1. schoonerman70

schoonerman70 Junior Member

Was wondering if anyone had information on the 3 masted sailing schooner KATHRYN B by thomas colvin?
    Specifications like draft displacement etc
    Photos, design info, sketches.. all is appreciated.

Im still trying to contact the Thomas Colvin office.. but i dont know if it exists anymore
    Its website is up and running, but thats all.

If anyone has contact info i would appreciate it.

regards
    Peter

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Peter,

The 'Kathryn B' (B = Baxter) is still doing the exact same job as Tom said on his website.

79' LOD = ± 105' LOA . . ? ?

I'll look up some info, hang on please...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    P.S. - I'll post the contact info for Tom's son on the other thread.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    P.P.S. - Done, see the thread: Thomas Colvin planspost #5

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  3. Angélique

Thomas E. Colvin - Naval Architect ---> Designs ---> Moderate Displacement Ocean Sailing Designs

[​IMG]

‘‘ The KATHRYN B at 79’ was designed for charter work. She is a very handsome hull and is an excellent ocean passagemaker and, at the same time, has proven profitable in her charter business. She charters in Maine during the summer, on the Chesapeake during the spring and fall, and in the Caribbean during the winter. Construction of GYPSY and KATHRYN B is straightforward and easy to accomplish by professional builders. ’’

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

Windjammer Central ---> body kathb main

[​IMG]
    ‘‘ COME EXPERIENCE THE NEWEST SCHOONER
    105 feet of luxury for just 10 guests - Plenty of room & privacy

Sailing from:
    Rockland Harbor, Maine in Summer
    Annapolis, Maryland in Spring and Autumn
    Virgin Islands and the Grenadines in Winter
    ’’

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

B & B Choices ---> Central America ---> St. Vincent and the Grenadines ---> Schooner Kathryn B.

‘‘ Contact: Kathryn Baxter - Phone: 800-500-6077 - Email: kathrynb@midcoast.com - 391 Hatchet Mt Rd - Camden - Maine - USA - 04847

Specifications:

Steel hulled 3-masted schooner
    Length Overall - 105 feet
    Length on deck - 80 feet
    Length on waterline - 65 feet
    Beam - 19.10 feet
    Draft - 7.6 feet
    Mast height - 63 feet
    Sail area - 3000 square feet
    Maximum speed under sail - 12 knots
    Cruising speed under power - 8 - 10 knots
    Water capacity - 800 gallons
    ’’

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

5. Angélique

Yes, same boat David . . :)

From David's link:

[​IMG]

‘‘ Tall Ship Schooner Alliance Specifications:
    Hull built by Treworgy Yachts in Palm Coast Florida in 1995
    Interior fitted out in Maine 1996
    Length over all ( LOA) 105′
    Length on deck (LOD) 80′
    Length water line (LWL) 65′
    Beam 19′ 10 “
    Draft 8′
    Displacement 75 tons 51 Gross tons
    Sail area 3000 sq feet
    Mast height 63′
    Fuel capacity 750 gal
    Water capacity 800 gal
    Maximum speed under power 9 knots
    Maximum speed under sail 12 knots

Sail plan:
    Traditional gaff rigged 3 masted schooner 3 gaff lowers, 3 headsails, 3 gaff topsails
    130 hp John Deere diesel engine
    11.5 kw Lister-Petter Generator 110 AC,
    24 v DC electricity
    Ideal Electric anchor windlass

Safety equipment:
    Radar, GPS, SSB, VHF, Liferaft, life floats, EPIRB

Accommodations:
    4 queen staterooms with ensuite bathrooms, 2 double cabins with shared head and shower, Captain’s cabin aft
    Passenger capacity – 49 on daysails, 12 overnight
    ’’

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yorktown Sailing Charters ---> Blog ---> Alliance Haul Out For Winter - aka - December 2012

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Sharp forefoot ! - :cool: -

[​IMG]

6. schoonerman70

wow fellas... great info you provided there. Many thanks
    This ship has all the works ( i think they are ships not yachts!!) steel , 3 masted with heavy weather hull form, full keel. Just looking at the Gypsy 66 design and colvin other designs, the hull forms are more plump up front to take heavier weather. I like this.

Im surprised that it has a DIsplacement to length ratio of 122 !!... Thats like ultra light performance category
    The sail to displacement ratio is 27.... wow.. racing yacht territory again.
    These are impressive figures.
    The racing yacht mentality has really destroyed alot of the traditional designs like this. Shame really

I was considering Gypsy 66 , Sultana 53 (heavier) now this Kathryn B.
    Hopefully plans will be available
    regards
    Peter

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

What length are you using in your calculation: 65 feet LWL, 80 feet LOD or 105 feet "LOA" (which presumably includes the bowsprit and main boom overhangs)? Also which displacement: 75 tons or 51 "Gross tons"? I suspect the "Gross tons" are the tonnage for USCG certification does not relate directly to displacement.

Using 65 LWL, displacement of 75 tons @ 2240 lbs per ton, and sail area of 3000 square feet I get a displacement to length ratio of 273 and a sail area to displacement ratio of 16. Those numbers seem more reasonable.

8. schoonerman70

Dcockey
    yes you are correct, it is my mistake
    I in advertantly used 75000lb, but should have used lb figure conversion.
    Your figures are correct as you state.. 270 Displ Length and 16 for the sail Displ.
    If you use 75000lb instead of 75000kg you can see my error (in the link i provide below).. that changes both displ/length and sail/displa calcs.
    My haste in my happiness with this design!!
    For others wanting to figure out the calculation a simple ratio calc is located here Sailboat Ratio Calculator http://www.sailboatrichlands.com/calratio.html
    Thanks for the correction.

It really looks like a wonderful true SHIP this design. So much so i have contacted Tom Colvins son asking for plans.
    Peter

9. Angélique

For some alternatives, Michael Kasten has the 55' Josephine in steel or aluminum, and the 82' Royalist in wood on his drawing board, and many more. If interested best to look over it at his site map, see there the list Sailing Yachts (Ongoing Projects & Stock Designs) eg the 44' Redpath in steel or aluminum, and the list Prototypes - Sail (New Ideas...!), check from the latter also the Wood list, as in this design stage the choice of the construction material, and also the choice of the rig, might be alterable to the first customers preference.

Kasten Marine - 55' Josephine​
    http://www.kastenmarine.com/_drawings/josephine_color_profile.jpg

Kasten Marine - 82' Royalist​
    http://www.kastenmarine.com/_screenshots/royalist_92_above_fwd_sailing.jpg

Kasten Marine - 44' Redpath​
    http://www.kastenmarine.com/_drawings/redpath_color_sailplan.gif

Kasten Marine - 44' Redpath​
    http://www.kastenmarine.com/_photos/redpath_sailing.jpg

10. schoonerman70

Angelique
    yes they are fine designs too.
    The Kathryn B is already "done". I dont like to "reinvent the wheel" if i dont have too.. nor pay for doing so!

Colvins designs also are designed to be built in steel, and to be maintained in steel. If you want to blast the interiorr of the hull for example
    when building, you really want a designer who designs it so that its easy to blast properly. Most designers wouldnt go that extra step.
    Calivin as you know not only dessigned but also built to his plans in his yard ....in steel. Thats a good receipe.
    Im sure other designers can do it all.... but colvins are already done.
    Kasten marines Royalist looks great imo.

Peter

11. Aireli

Aireli New Member

Peter,

I am hoping to run into enough money over the next couple of years to build a Kathryn B myself. Please keep me posted on your progress. My personal email is awolfson (at) wolfson.com

Thanks,

Al

12. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Hi,
    With a project that big I would really be looking for a detailed design that would allow NC cutting of the ribs / parts. Massive time saver. I don't think Colvin ever really got into computer aided design.

Cheers,
    Mark

13. Angélique

Hi Peter & Al,​

Just some thoughts Tom wrote down for owner/builders, don't know though whether one of you is in that category, so whether this applies to one of you, or not... ?

| Sultana | LOD: 52' / 15.85 m | Displacement: 70,000 lbs / 35 short tons / 31,751 kg |

Tom Colvin: ‘‘ I consider it the largest size feasible for an owner/builder. ’’

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Take note a Kathryn B is more than twice as big as a Sultana.​
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

| Kathryn B | LOD: 79' / 24.08 m | Displacement: 150,000 lbs / 75 short tons / 68,039 kg |

Tom Colvin: ‘‘ Construction of GYPSY and KATHRYN B is straightforward and easy to accomplish by professional builders. ’’

P.S.
    GYPSY - LOD: 66' 5" / 20.24 m
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, but can't read the displacement completely in these Gypsy specs.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  14. Angélique

I see Tom's website is offline right now, again and maybe for long or for good this time . . :(

Anyone interested could check what the Wayback Machine Internet Archive has stored of it.

15. Angélique

Here's the above post #13 again, with links to the same pages and picture, but below as stored by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Behind the links and the picture is the Wayback Machine's Storage Date mentioned, which is also the last one I've came across there for the linked page right now.

- - - - start links adjusted post #13 quote - - - -

Hi Peter & Al,

Just some thoughts Tom wrote down for owner/builders, don't know though whether one of you is in that category, so whether this applies to one of you, or not... ?

| Sultana | LOD: 52' / 15.85 m | Displacement: 70,000 lbs / 35 short tons / 31,751 kg |

Tom Colvin: ‘‘ I consider it the largest size feasible for an owner/builder. ’’

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Take note a Kathryn B is more than twice as big as a Sultana.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

| Kathryn B | LOD: 79' / 24.08 m | Displacement: 150,000 lbs / 75 short tons / 68,039 kg |

Tom Colvin: ‘‘ Construction of GYPSY and KATHRYN B is straightforward and easy to accomplish by professional builders. ’’

P.S.
    GYPSY - LOD: 66' 5" / 20.24 m - - Picture as stored by the Wayback Machine on May 5, 2016.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, but can't read the displacement completely in these Gypsy specs.

- - - - end of the links adjusted post #13 quote - - - -

BTW :), the above shown by Wayback Machine stored picture turns out to be miraculously larger and better readable than the one that was shown in post #13, as linked from Tom's own website on Dec 3, 2017. GYPSY's displacement reads here for me ‘‘ 107,919 lbs SW ’’ = 53.96 short tons = 48,951 kg.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.