favourite sea novels

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by lazeyjack, May 10, 2007.

1. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

You do realise that with all you blokes refusing to read 'fiction' I'll have to put my wife and daughters back on the streets...maybe even join them when the Russian Fleet is in town.....:mad:

2. Hank Rosendal

Hank Rosendal not old enough for some things, too old for others

Cross track error

Could it be that this thread is going off the intended rails, or in nautical parlance: X-track error is alarming.
    I thought the initial question: "What is your favourite sea novel?" was a good one. Maybe this 'novel' bit could be extended: to include some books that are a mixture of fiction, opinions and facts. I think of a book by Eric Hiscock. Or was there no fiction at all in that book? Can't remember.
    Is there somewhere a database, list of nautical books, being fiction, fact or otherwise?

1 person likes this.
  3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Yeah Hank, your local library.

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Hank Rosendal...now there's a name for a fiction writer if ever i heard one...:)

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Good luck with the gym Poida, I used to have one in my house when I was younger.

I prefer the fresh air and a mountain bike. A mountain bike can be used for shopping also. I spend most of the day on one.

Dont have the time for a 1/2 hour a day in the gym, usually too knackered.

Glad you agree with me about the book readers. What made you change your mind? You shouldnt have,-- you were bang on the mark.

No im afraid the ole variable voltage control is a bit more than a resistor.

There is a few resistors in it though.

6. charmc

charmc Senior Member

This you, Poida? :p

Attached Files:

7. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

Guest-3-12-09-9-21 Senior Member

If you like sailing and history this is a definite must read! It is a difficult book to find, and it is not an easy read since it is written complete with all of the original misspellings and lots of foot notes, but it is worth the effort!
    I found a copy on abebooks.com --Chuck

"Nagel Journal. A Diary of the Life of Jacob Nagle, Sailor"

Description: NAGLE, John. The Nagel Journal. A Diary of the Life of Jacob Nagle, Sailor, From the Year 1775 to 1841. Edited by John C. Dann. N.Y., (1988). 1st ed. Illus. xxx, 402pp. A fine copy in d/j. After joining the army at the age of fifteen and fighting in the Battle of Brandywine, Nagle spent the next forty-five years as a sailor, serving in the British navy, on merchant ships and privateers. His travels took him around the globe. A fascintating account

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Too busy thinking up crap!!

9. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Trustee from the toolroom

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought immediately about that book. I was the first 'serious adult' book I recall reading, at about age 10. I have loved Nevil Shute's books ever since, and have most of them in old hard-copy editions.

Nevil Shute concealed his true name and profession because in the 30's and 40's in Britain it was not acceptable for a serious professional to write 'novels'. In fact Nevil Norway was a famous aircraft designer and Engineer. From his books, he was also a serious sailor in the Solent and an expert Fisherman.

So how the hell can we say we don't have time to READ books?

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Absalutely walrus,-- your see walrus gets it.

Im too busy with my own life. Idont want to read about going down pirate infested malacca straits,---I do it.

Im planning a trip to India to buy a Royal Enfield motorcycle and drive it back through Burma,Thailand and Malaysia. You can read about that if you want.

When youve finished reading your books look at the clock,-- Oh its half past death.

No I dont have time to read fiction books. They should have a warning like a packet of cigarettes, WARNING READING THIS BOOK WILL DAMAGE YOUR PERSONALITY. Thats a point I suppose you fiction readers smoke.

I dont have time to smoke.

Ille not let my kids read Harry bloody Potter.

11. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Too late, jack, you must have read one!! :D :D :p :p

12. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

HE READ HEAPS LOOK at his last post under seaplanes:))
    Now why not buy a Norton Unternational? there's a Bike Jacko

13. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

14. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Chalmc, my cover's been blown.

Mind you I used to read fiction when I was a kid.

Noddy and Big Ears, then came Biggles and Ginger, The Secret 7, bloody Phantom comics, but then I grew up.

Poida

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.