Favorite rough weather technique

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by gonzo, Nov 10, 2009.

1. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

Problems w/Series Drogue

Fanie wrote
    I like the idea of a drogue, but I've made myself a serie of small drogues instead of one big one. Imo it may handle easier. I can imagine that is the thing to have when you travel downwind.

Most problems I hear with drogues is the loads they generate and start ripping your samson post out and such. Also they will pull out of wave faces if not sinking deep enough.
    Seems the problem they have could be solved with an Angel. Angels are a counterweight sent down your anchor rode to help reduce the caternary of the rode (angle of rode with seabed), less caternary= better anchor bite. Plus this makes for a sweet, tunable ride during a storm at anchor. Like a big shock absorber. Plus lowers the swing radius at anchor.
    I lived aboard my vessel in the narrow,shallow,and soft mud of Savanna,Ga for four years (when not at marina). Saw all kinds of nasty weather, tried all kinds of anchoring methods, but never saw anthing made for free for a boat perform like an angel. Totaly changed the character of the boat. No more jerking the anchor out during a blow in soft mud. Plus a "magic" feel.
    Drogues have a fatal flaw in that they dont have a way of snubbing all that energy. An angel seems like the best way to "snubb" all the energy. Plus it will sink the bridle deeper working like a downrigger. Get slammed by a big wave and the bridle now has a MUCH more stretch. Plus the weight is constantly applying pull force against the bridle even after an impact as it sinks back down, pulling you back on center.
    Personally agree that to reduce sails and keep way on is preferable to any when possible.

Ps. They work great on your "Lunch hook" or in a tight anchorage . Get a better bite w/less rhode and swing (temporary only)

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Aye Captin Bill,

If the drogue is out the boat must be able to hang by it, so the cleat better be well seated.

One will put a weight on the drogue to keep it submerged, although when I tested mine it seemed it digs into the water. I haven't tested in waves tho.

3. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

That is why I insist on making all sampson posts stronger than the heaviest line that will ever be used on them. Stronger sampson posts are at the top of most cruisers wish list in their first year of cruising. Mine are 90 tons sheer strength.
    A friend used poly line on hs 40 footer , on a galerider drogue in the Queens Birthday storm of New Zealand with no problems . Lots of stretch in that stuff.
    One litre of lead with a 1/2 inch rod ss loop in the top, is 30 lbs of lead. Makes a great kellet.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't like to put a drogue and let the weather take me wherever. Heaving to gives me some steerage. However, unless I need a break ( I solo a lot) I keep on pushing hard.

5. M-Sasha

M-Sasha Guest

Go with the elements when sailing, Surfing is fun. Do not have a brake, like drogues, except your boat is a "sophisticated" design. Means not seaworthy. Racers are NOT seaboats, they hardly survive but are not for a avarage sailor.

Go out of the weather, then uphill in a motor vessel! There is no other chance to survive heavy sea. that was said several pages ago. I watched the "Aries Lord" video and I can tell you, i have seen worse weather in the northern seas on much smaller boats.

Most sailing boats todays are designed to sit in a marina, they do not work well in heavy seas, and must not!

Most racing boats are designed to "survive" the worst weather, but with 20 crew.

Go to sea with all the natural fear and doubt, not with all the available equipment, there is a chance to survive the worst, but no guarantee.

Sasha

a comment on design. i have not seen a development improving the seaworthiness (right term?) of a sailing boat in the past hundered years. Only speed and going upwind was improved - yes sometimes-.
    where are the better boats today? yes, they are under the surface, failed, sunk, droven to death. And stay away from multihulls when the open ocean is your playground.
    Oh yes the multi people here can be very agressive i know. Fortunately I have build a mono hull sailing boat for the most experienced multi sailor in the former Soviet Union, just some days ago! Think about it.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Gonzo, you need to get out of the harbour more :D

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Sailed in England, Spain, and Oman in the last six months. I think I'm doing OK ;)