1976 Trojan 30 Repower

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by AggieBoater, Jul 11, 2005.

1. AggieBoater

AggieBoater Junior Member

I breifly started this thread under the Marinization heading, but have decided that was the wrong way to go. Thanks for everyone that helped in that matter. Now on to business with a different approach.

For those who don't read the other thread:

I have a 1976 Bertram Trojan 30 Sportfish. The previous owner stripped almost everything from the boat, and what he hasn't I have. There were several stringers professionally replaced and also the main bulkhead. The prop shafts were replaced with new 1" ss shafts and high speed drippless packings were installed. While I'm stripping all the hardware off and fiberglassing all the holes and blisters, fixing a coulpe soft spots in the deck and getting ready to spray awl-grip this winter I'm trying to plan the powertrain out. This is where I'd love some constructive help, and this seems just the group to help me do it or at least point me in the right direction.

Here's what I've learned so far: I don't like gas inboards, but they will fit without changing the shafts, logs etc. If I go with an older diesel inboard I'll most likely have to change the shafts, logs, etc. and also raise the deck. I've seen a Bertram 31' with the raised engine covers and don't mind this look. I know that I can't/don't want to afford new diesels that will move the boat at decient speed and use the same shafts that are in it. I know I don't want I/O's.

Here's what I'm looking for help on: What older diesels that are easly attainable will be the closest in size and power to a 5.7L gas inboard. I was looking at possibly a pair of 3208 Cat's. Does anyone have the spec's for this engine? I've found re-built blocks cheap, but would still need all the other stuff that bolts on. Does anyone know a cheap source for runout diesels?

Ok I'm open for suggestions, please feel free to share any experieces with this.

Thanks in advance.

2. AggieBoater

Also, I've noticed several on the forum with Bertram 30's. I would love to see as many pictures as you guys are willing to send me. I'm collecting a data base for information trying to establish where I'm going to head with this project. Interior pics are especially welcome. Also specifications such as fuel capasities etc. The boat is completely bare, a blank slate for my creative mind to work with.

Please send pictures to: myreprieve@hotmail.com

THANKS!!!

3. AggieBoater

Well, I just aquired a matched pair of Stewart Stevens 3208 CAT's twin turbo. Maybe a little more power than I need, but the price was right. Anyone have any suggestions about these engines in this application? I'm pretty sure that I'll have to raise the deck, or make engine covers, but not by much. The main bulkhead that I thought I was going to have to move forward looks like it won't be a problem. Making engine covers might not be a bad thing, I could make Ice boxes above them, or takle storage or the like. Possibilities are endless.

Any suggestions would be appreicated.

Thanks,
    Michael

4. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

How much did they cost?

5. AggieBoater

6. AggieBoater

Oh...sorry....$150.00 for both with ZF 1.53 reduction gears. They need some work, but I'm very capable in that reguard.

7. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

I'll give you twice that as is :)

8. AggieBoater

That's a kind offer woodboat, but until I find out otherwise, they're going into my Trojan 30.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.