Faulty EPIRB - Any Suggestions

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Boatpride, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Boatpride

Boatpride Boatpride

A couple of weeks ago, the on board EPIRB was set off whilst racing. It wasn't that we were in a trouble though. In fact we were flying along, skimming through the waves!

After the race we got a call from the coast guard asking if we were OK? We found it rather sweet that they'd taken the trouble to ask! Until they explained that they had received a signal from us?

Has this happened to anybody before? Clearly the system has a fault, other than a few waves, it had no contact with water.

If any one can shed any light on this, that would be great. I guess a new EPIRB is required.

Thank You

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

What make and model of EPIRB?

3. Boatpride

Boatpride Boatpride

The make was vintage ACR - but I don't know which particular model

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

Well, depending on which model, there is a switch for "test", or "on", and "on when it gets wet or upright" or "wet AND upright". You said "vintage", so I am assuming that it has to get "upright" to go off unless the switch is bad. Wait - they called you, so it's not that vintage. Anyway, if it is the switch, ACR will fix it for a nominal fee but bear in mind that if the battery is near expiration and the thing has seen a little weather, you might want to consider replacing anyway. Finally, EPIRBS actually do what they were intended to do and are a lifesaver - you need to make sure yours is up to snuff... One last thing - your angle of heal wasn't greater than normal since you were racing, was it? - Mark

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I have had this happen to me before. The problem was a faulty instalation mixed with a switch that had been dinged a couple of times. Combine this with the cost of replacing the battery and the repair was about 75% the cost of a new one, so I just replaced it.

6. Boatpride

Boatpride Boatpride

Hi guys,

thank you for your responses.

Mark - we weren't heeling too much, but it was a wild day and waves crashed over the boat quite frequently. I guess the EPIRB felt submerged.

Stumble - I'll recommend a new EPIRB to the skipper. Or an alternative position.

Thank you both

7. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I would at least have a service shop take a look at it before getting a replacement. They should be willing to do a diagnostic for free.

8. NEWENGLAND

NEWENGLAND Guest

Do you work for free? Geeze? The world is full of Idiots and Yuppies!

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

You are the perfect proof in all of your posts!
    And your current reputation (still much too good) shows that the majority here has that opinion.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.