Fastest Sailboat on the Planet!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Congratulations to the Kite guys! But Hydroptere doing 50 plus(peak over 60) where she did it is an entirely different kind of accomplishment to a Kite or windsurfer doing the same speed in flat water. Speed is speed for purposes of the record so they are to be congratulated but what about the windsurfers?

3. cardsinplay

cardsinplay da Vinci Group

Can you not just simply acknowledge the kiteboarders and leave out all the extra comments about L'Hydroptere and windsurfers?

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

No, not when the kitesufer news is posted in the Hydroptere thread!

5. cardsinplay

Yes, I think we understand now.

6. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

yea I missed the 'sailboat' bit in the title as opposed to 'sailing vessel' There isnt actually a record for the fastest sailboat is there?

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Yeah-thats easy: Hydroptere is the "Fastest Sailboat on the Planet"...

PS-if "sailing vessel" is the term what about iceboats and landyachts-the fastest "sailing vessels" period.

8. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

They probably wouldnt float too good

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==========
    I'll give you that.....

10. cardsinplay

L'Hydroptere has been tossed in a palace coup.

That wild French guy, Alex Caizergues, has smashed through the world record formerly held by L'Hydroptere with a run at Luderitz, Namibia of 54.1 knots.

Simply magnifique.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok so if the kite boarders are flying along at 50 knots and Hydropter is flying along at 61 knots how is it we got an argument going over who is fastest

or did I miss something

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

------------------
    Hydroptere's peak speed is greater than the non-ratified record set by the kite guys. But the kites expect to get their "record" ratified by the World Sailing Speed Record authority. My beef is that after watching the video above it was clear that this so-called record is being claimed for sailing in a ditch where Hydroptere sailed in the open ocean! Doesn't seem fair or right, in any way, that the two are the same-just flat wrong.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I dont really see there is a comparison unless the two have a head to head competition which I frankly and I'm sure a few others would love to see

same water
    same conditions

they are obviously in different class's but the playing field needs to be the same
    which is why ice boats dont really count in my book

15. cardsinplay

Things are still OK in the world. Doug is just having a total meltdown after losing all his equity in the L'Hydroptere world record expression. After reading the archives on some similar threads, Doug had similar meltdowns then, as well.

He can't change the WSSRC and their rules, so he has flopped on the ground, kicking all the furniture.

Fact is, the run by Caizergues will be ratified by the WSSRC, he will be the new, outright world record holder and there's nothing that can be done to change any of it.

If running in the same conditons is important to you, then clear your bank account and see if you have enough cash to hoist the French boat on a steamer and get it down to Luderitz. A little more cash and the speed run in Second Lagoon can be widened just for her and she can make her run, as well. Does anybody have a problem that this supposed, ocean-going boat, would not be risked sailing down to Namibia on her own hull, thereby proving the claim of ocean capable?

Yes, there's a problem with enough water for the foils to work without breaking off, but in that observation, you have the nut of why Doug has his little problem.

Get over it, or do something about it. Whining, same as lousy sportsmanship, is very poor form.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.