Fastest powerboat hull

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by tommyboy3310, Oct 30, 2017.

1. tommyboy3310

tommyboy3310 New Member

I want to design a 30 to 40 foot boat, I am wondering which hull type I should choose to be capable of its top speed? I also want it to have a luxurious , big cuddy cabin on the inside (also I am assumming no inner motor, only outboard). If anyone can point me in the right direction of hull type, design program suggestions, design ideas for the inside. I am very new to boat design and I was stoked to find this website, hoping to learn from the experts! Thanks!
    Thomas Pitera

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Any hull will be capable of its designed top speed if built as designed and with the specified power installed. If you have a target speed, that would be part of your statement of requirements (SOR), which is the starting point of the design. It should also include a more precise length (30 to 40 is a huge difference), what exactly do you mean by luxurious ( that will greatly affect size and weights), operating conditions, etc.

3. tommyboy3310

tommyboy3310 New Member

I would like to reach about 75 mph, lets say 30 foot (easier to make a smaller boat go faster) and i want a "house boat" interior, a bed, kitchen, bathroom, tv. I want to use the boat to go on the ocean so im thinking v hull but then I thought the tri hull may be able to obtain a higher top speed

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Not for nothing, but your skill level (based on your questions) suggests you haven't any idea of what is required (hull form, structural engineering, etc.) and in this regard, you shouldn't even think about attempting, a self designed powerboat capable of these speeds. I have designed high speed powerboats and it's not hard to see these speeds, though it is hard to meet SOR targets, as you've indicated. Simply put, no one in their right mind would consider a "houseboat" at these speeds, let alone one on the "ocean". Maybe you should get a grip on your SOR and possible take a ride in a fast offshore powerboat and see what 75 MPH feels like in deep water swells.

SPS-7.jpg

This is one of mine, doing about 80 MPH on trials. 30' LOD, 6' 2" beam, 750 HP. This boat has no interior and weighs in at 2,800 lbs. with crew. So, you really think you engineer something like this and ride it farther from shore than you can swim back too?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  5. tommyboy3310

tommyboy3310 New Member

You're right Par I am very new to this, I am just trying to understand the feasability to do this or something similar. First, can you provide me a link to read more about SOR requirements?
    Next, lets exclude the house boat interior for the moment, what is the best hull type for the open ocean, and can obtain a high top speed?

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A 30 footer at 75MPH will have to be completely bare interior to keep the weight down and have enough space for fuel tanks. It is easier to make a big boat go faster. Top speed for a hull is a function of its length. Also, at 75MPH, particularly in a smaller boat, there will be internal organ injuries in anything but flat water. That is the reason to wear a corset for racing.

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

PAR and Gonzo are right. Your Statement of Requirements is incompatible. You don't put a luxurious "houseboat" interior in a 30 or even 40 foot boat and then fling it across the water at 75mph. The hp required to do so would cost more than the boat, and everything inside the boat would come apart. There's an old saying about a high speed boat is thousands of parts flying in close formation (I know that isn't an exact quote), but in this case those parts would definitely not be in formation. Take a look at performanceboats.com and you will get an idea of what is required to achieve those speeds on flat water. It takes even more to do this offshore in water that is rarely ever flat even on a calm day. Then look at houseboatmagazine.com and you will see just how incompatible your requirements are.

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

"About" 75 mph....:eek: There is a very good formula to consider, that holds stubbornly true with boats, and it is that you can have two of the three following attributes, speed, comfort, and acceptable economy of operation, pick which two you like best, but don't kid yourself you can have all three.

member 64267 likes this.

9. Joakim

Joakim Senior Member

Something like Fountain 33 Lightning is the closest match I can think of. 83 mph with 2*425 HP stern drive. I guess you could get 75 mph with 2*350 HP OB. And there is some "luxury" interior in it, but not a big one. Here is an old article.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.