fastest home build method

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whitepointer23, May 22, 2016.

1. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Just like a politician's brain! ;)

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I am a shipwright and a master marine surveyor. Am I getting your vote?

3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Gonzo,
    I looked for the spreadsheet but it appears to have been lost in my win 10 upgrade. All it was was a look at the center of mass for a wood and lead boat vs concrete below the waterline, less lead, and a modern mast of aluminum of carbon. The output was a wall thickness of concrete. Of course the first question everyone has is tension on the concrete -there could be a tension rod through the keel and I have been looking at using basalt fiber tow.

My comment on rot is based on the all the refits of wooden boats -I have not seen any that do not replace wood below the waterline.

I think it would make a good topic though I don't have any plans to build a keel boat and I don't think anyone will believe without seeing a boat. The best thing would be to do a small keel boat like a mini AC or 2.4 -but with the center of mass at a height similar to pre-WWII boats.

4. tane

tane Senior Member

...by FAr the quickest method is a secondhand boat! right now it's a buyer's market, & a BIG one!!!
    (sure it's not the "inebriation of creating" - but then: on zhe water it's nice too...)

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

skyak, were the boats you refitted freshwater boats, i have never had rot problems below the waterline but all my boats are in salt water enviroments. toredo worms are a problem in our estuarys if the antifoul is let go.