Faster upwind tacking by taking turns towing?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by h.t.hall, Mar 24, 2005.

1. xarax

xarax Previous Member

Yes, such a "double-sailboat" can sail to windward indeed.

Incidentally, I happen to arrive at the same conclusions as yours, even for the case of a sailplane. However, the "theoretical" reasoning is useless - and would not convince anybody in this forum, that is for sure - unless you bring along some experimental evidence. A simple advice: Proceed building a small radio-controlled model. Try to exploit the momentum of the hull A (windward-sailing) around the hull B (dragging the A hull with the help of its keel) as much as possible.

2. globaldude

globaldude court jester

Ahh, well put Steve. Here in New Zealand, we have highly paid teams employed by our government, namely for the making of regulations relating to transportation , and again, as to the best means of squeezing tax from us non " mathematicians ".
    We are also known as great sailors.
    I feel quite confident that , should mr Hall wish to emigrate, our goverment would welcome him with open cheque book.
    He may even be able to help " team New Zealands" latest bid for the America's cup - if the last one was anything to go by !.

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

How Sails Work

I just want to refer you to a couple of articles I think might help you in understanding the subject a bit better....and that have some vector presentations:
    1) How Sails Work by Paul Bogataj
    http://www.northsailsod.com/articles/article6.html

2) Arvel Gentry's work
    http://www.arvelgentry.com/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.