daggerboard insertion

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by philSweet, Apr 7, 2011.

1. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Has anyone (or machine) developed the equivilent of a polar diagram for daggerboard insertion on a modern high performance yacht. I'm thinking open 60 style setups. I have no idea how they are actually used.

Regards the plot- I have in mind lines of constant insertion as a function of vessel speed and angle of attack; or maybe the axes should be wind speed and angle of attack for simplicity.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

On curved foils you'd have to include angle of incidence relative to the center line, angle of incidence of the lifting portion of the foil, maybe something that breaks down the percentage of vertical lift and lateral resistance for various positions of the board from maximum insertion to minimum insertion.
    Also, relating the above to some selected radiuses of the foil curvature and symmetrical/asymmetrical foil sections would be a pretty complete analysis. I'd sure like to see such a study! Good idea , Phil.