Last Boat, modifing an old one...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wavewacker, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

I almost put this in sailboats, but...

I would like some advice on old sailboats for motoring primarily and perhaps sailing some, back-ackwards I know.

I have decided that an old sailboat will make the least expensive "trawler" with a small outboard, samll being less than 25 hp, depnding on the size.

While I might go larger, something 24 to 30 ft is the target. as it MUST be trailerable. Trailerable could be with a beam of 10' with a permit, they don't cost that much, but 8.5 ft. would be much better. It also needs to be towable with an F-150 (not a 350), v-8 4x4. I think that puts gross weight at about 5000 pounds.

Budget, I'm looking for an old boat, project, a hual off to 5,000 bucks. A solid hull.

I'm more interested in a larger cabin and smaller cockpit. A hard doger will be added or a higher pilothouse for protected, heated and A/C steering. Yes, care will be taken in adding an enclosure. Need standing headroom, hopefully in the shower too.

It must be shaol draft. Shooting for no more than 3 1/2 foot draft. 5 ft, is a no go!

It will be turned into a low budget, economical river cruiser and for the ICW. Hoping for a motoring range of 500 miles, with external fuel jugs on a rear platform.

Since such boats like to roll, amas may be attached to reduce roll, they would fold up eaisly and lock down in various positions to be adjustable for conditions....such might be a later plan. This means it needs strong gunnels.

A small gen set would be onboard. Hoping that there is an enclosed head. Porta pottie is fine, or tanked. A/C will be added. Dual battery, maybe 3 or 4 and small solar charger. It will have a fridge. Water can be pumped, hope there is at least 50 gal. water tankage.

Sailing must be a simple rig suitable for an old man to single hand for fun, there would be NO need for optimal speed. The boat may be stripped of rigging for some outings. Nothing sought beyond hull speed while motoring. There are reports of such crafts buring a half gallon an hour, efficiency and economic cruising is the only goal along with livability. Did I mention standing headroom?

I'm under the impression that an older boat, 60s 70s would have been built during the period of fiberglass experminations, built heavier and stronger than the eco boats in later years. The budget reflects and restricts the year anyway. If the boat was designed for light off shore use, it will do, nota circumnavigating passagemaker, but don't count one out if there is one.

I'd like opinions of proven older boats that would be efficient for motoring. I think I want to stay away from the McGreggors due to the hull and deck attachments being reportedly weaker than others.

Lastly, the boat needs to be fairly available on the market in the southern and eastern coasts, some off the wall make in Canada need not apply (although I'd like to find some of the steel boats they have up there!) Must be fiberglass (metal is acceptable, but doubt one would exist) in other words, no wood, composits, ferros or plastics. I prefer straighter lines, not a bulging beamy boat since amas might be used. I have absolutely no knowledge about tris except what looks decent to my eye and that they don't rock as badly as a mono. A livable boat for two for the long term. Low maintenance meaning the less teak the better, especially outside.

Buying an existing ole boat and making some modifications will be the way to go. Notice I mentioned nothing about hauling by dual sport motorcycle (LOL) but a small tender might be a good thing.

Please give me some input on this one as this should be my last question about which boat.....we have run the gammot and this is the course I will be taking. Thanks in advance too! :D

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

The weight and width and draft etc all sounds like an Albin 25 may be the one.Someone on here has one,search.Maybe find one needing some work...

There's plenty of boats like this in the UK,but few here in NA.

this is handy:

http://www.allofcraigs.com/

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

4. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Thanks for the Albin siggestion, I have found a few needing TLC, not many and none in my area, but then, not much of anything in my area!

Richard, a wrecked Mac 26? Deoends on where the damage is....LOL, it needs to float! And, are you saying a Macgreggor?

I don't mind traveling some to get a good old boat with these possibilities...:D

What about O'Days, Catalinas, Hunters, some say these are not suitable for light off shore work. I'd like a boat that can, not that it must or will...

5. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.