Solution to problem of hull speed

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Robert Jansen, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Robert Jansen

Robert Jansen Junior Member

I would have posted this on the hull speed forum, but it appears that my last posting is too old (367 days).

Background: I've beaten hull speed, and none of you believe it.

Update:

The US Patent and Trademark office has just informed me of the date my patent is going to be issued on 3/31/2015. The patent examiner commented to my patent agent that my work was extremely innovative.

I'll provide both a link to the USPTO and the patent number when I receive the letters patent.

By the way, I filed under the WIPO, and will definitely be filing for international patent protection in both Australia and New Zealand.

2. FMS

FMS Senior Member

I would not refer to hull speed as a "problem".

Hull speed is only a guideline of the speed at which efficiency decreases for most displacement motorboats.

It is difficult to respond intelligently before you have posted what you have actually done.

3. Robert Jansen

The patent issues 3/31/2015. My patent counsel will forward the letters patent forthwith. I will check the USPTO website at USPTO.gov at that time, and provide the link.

Given the skepticism and outright hostility I have encountered on this site in the past, you should understand why you're just going to have to wait to see the post when the information is publicly available.

4. FMS

FMS Senior Member

The problem is your post is too vague.

I can "beat hull speed" using a bigger engine -- depending on what you mean by beating hull speed.

It's impossible to respond intelligently to a secret "solution" to a general guideline until it is at least published.

Congratulations you were awarded the patent you wanted is all I can say without seeing anything to comment on.

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Everybody and his dog on a beach cat has "beaten hull speed".
    Its not hard to do.

So has anyone with a planing hull with enough power.

Finally show us what you got.

Patent examiners are not notably educated on a wide range of issues.

Good luck with your patent - what do you intend to do with it?

6. Robert Jansen

The patent is available for all to see at the WIPO site (assuming you know how to do a search properly).

7. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  8. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Not going to.

You said you would show us what you have when you get the patent.

I'll wait.

If everyone can see it then you can show it.

9. FMS

FMS Senior Member

10. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

OK, the pictures are there, but how does that prove it "beats" hull speed limitations ?

11. Robert Jansen

Hull speed is an artifact of an open dynamic system. It is reached when the wavelength of the bow wave couples with the waterline length under weigh.

My design does not generate a bow wave. The system dynamics are (asymptotically) closed and regenerative. Since there is no bow wave, the system conditions that give rise to hull speed do not arise.

12. Mr Efficiency

Really ? I can't see how.

13. Robert Jansen

Look at the planform from above (or below). Dynamically, it's a water breathing ramjet. The propellors serve to maintain closed system flow. Then capture flow forward at the same rate the an ordinary hull would push it out of the way, generating a bow wave, and replace the flow astern. The system flow fore and aft is coupled, unlike conventional displacement hulls and propulsion systems. Consider the stern section of the hull and propulsion as the bow section operating in a time reversed mode (with allowances for obvious asymmetries arising from the laws of fluid dynamics).

Ramjets turbojets and turbofans all operate as they do in no small part due to feedback and coupling. So does my design. Conventional displacement hulls and propulsions systems do not.

14. Mr Efficiency

The obvious question is, have you built, and tested, a test model ?

15. Robert Jansen

2nd prototype almost complete. Awaiting parts now. First prototype was constructed to test the theoretical prediction that an integrated design would not work properly in a towing tank. The theoretical model holds that the hull and propulsion system have to be tested together, and passive towing will not work. This prediction was shown to be true.

The first round of testing and proof of principle should be complete around the same time that the patent is issued.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.