Farrier F9AX vs Kurt Hughes 31 Swing Wing Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by filiperosa, Sep 5, 2010.

1. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Hello,
    I am an owner of a Farrier F24 MKII trimaran. It is a great boat however I want something bigger for two person extend cruising. I was thinking in building a F9AX from which I have a lot of information. However I found the Kurt Hughes 31 Swing Wing Trimaran that seams easier and cheaper to build. I was looking all around the web for a few days but I could not find too much information about this design.

What I really want to know is how the KH 31 compares to the F9AX. How is the interior, headroom, sailing capacities, seaworthy, easier of building, building cost, etc.

I would also like to know how Kurt Hughes plans are compared to Farrier ones. Any Kurt Hughes builder here that could share his experience?

I really appreciate any help.

With best regards,
    Filipe

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Check this out, Filipe:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/kurt-hughes-daycharter-36-a-31846.html

There are a couple of us currently building Kurt Hughes catamarans.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

3. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Hi Felipe,

do you know Kurts homepage: www.multihulldesigns.com? He has a lot of 30 foot trimarans and you have to look in every section (stock designs -> multihull studio, designs available again, new designs, and so on) He also offers plans for every folding principle including the sliding tube system. Hughes articles are all worth to be read, he is a very experiened Designer offering well sailing designs.

Hughes Trimarans are a little more performance oriented than the Farrier Boats (which are more advertising oriented).

Thinking of the enourmous amount of money and wheight that will go into the folding mechanism (especially into the Farrier where you can build all three hulls for the price of the Beams and folding things), do you really need the folding? Think about a mooring and a nice little tender.

Farriers ergonomics are poor, so you have to sit high with your feet on a step and not on the floor. It will be uncomfortable after a short time. The double bunk in the bow is not really big enough for two. I tried sitting and sleeping in a production F31.

Grrreetings from the North Sea Coast, Michel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.